(a) In addition to powers authorized by this Article and Chapter 150B, the Commission may:
(1) Adopt rules in accordance with Part 3, Article 1 of Chapter 143B and Article 2A of Chapter 150B of the General Statutes necessary to carry out the purposes of this Article;
(2) Establish general policies and guidelines for awarding compensation and provide guidance to the staff assigned by the Secretary of the Department of Public Safety to administer the program;
(3) Accept for any lawful purpose and functions under this Article any and all donations, both real and personal, and grants of money from any governmental unit or public agency, or from any institution, person, firm, or corporation, and may deposit the same to the Crime Victims Compensation Fund.
(b) The Director shall have the following authority:
(1) With the consent of the district attorney, to request that law enforcement officers employed by the State or any political subdivision provide copies of any information or data gathered in the investigation of criminally injurious conduct that is the basis of any claim to enable the Director or Commission to determine whether, and the extent to which, a claimant qualifies for an award of compensation;
(2) With the consent of the district attorney, to request that prosecuting attorneys, law enforcement officers, and State agencies conduct investigations and provide information necessary to enable the Director or Commission to determine whether, and the extent to which, a claimant qualifies for an award of compensation; and
(3) To require the claimant to supplement the application for an award of compensation with any reasonably available medical or psychological reports pertaining to the injury for which the award of compensation is claimed.
Information obtained pursuant to this subsection is subject to the same privilege against public disclosure that may be asserted by the providing source. (1983, c. 832, s. 1; 1987, c. 819, s. 12; 1989, c. 679, s. 2; 1991, c. 301, s. 1; 2000-189, s. 3; 2004-159, s. 1; 2011-145, s. 19.1(g).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014