An Authority shall have all of the powers necessary or convenient to carry out and effectuate the purposes and provisions of this Part. These powers may include any one or more of the following:
(1) To apply for, accept, receive, and dispense funds and grants made available to it by the State or any of its agencies or political subdivisions, the United States, any member unit, or any private entity.
(2) To study, design, plan, construct, own, and operate a regional facility.
(3) To employ consultants and employees as may be required in the judgment of the Authority, to fix and pay their compensation from funds available to the Authority. In employing consultants, the Authority shall promote participation by minority businesses.
(4) To contract with any public or private entity, and The University of North Carolina or any constituent institution of The University of North Carolina may enter into any such contract if the function is one The University of North Carolina or any constituent institution of The University of North Carolina could undertake separately.
(5) To adopt bylaws for the regulation of its affairs and the conduct of its business, and to adopt rules in connection with the performance of its functions and duties.
(6) To adopt an official seal.
(7) To acquire and maintain administrative offices.
(8) To sue and be sued in its own name, and to plead and be impleaded.
(9) To receive, administer, and comply with the conditions and requirements respecting any gift, grant, or donation of any property or money.
(10) To acquire by purchase, lease, gift, or otherwise, or to obtain options for the acquisition of, any real or personal property or interest therein.
(11) To sell, lease, exchange, transfer, or otherwise dispose of, or to grant options for any of these purposes with respect to, any real or personal property or interest therein.
(12) Subject to the provisions of this Part, to pledge, assign, mortgage, or otherwise grant a security interest in any real or personal property or interest therein, including a leasehold interest, including the right and power to pledge, assign, or otherwise grant a security interest in any money, rents, charges, or other revenues and any proceeds derived by the Authority from any and all sources.
(13) Subject to the provisions of this Part, to borrow money to finance part or all of a regional facility, to issue revenue bonds or notes, to refund any revenue bonds or notes issued by the Authority, or to provide funds for other corporate purposes of the Authority.
(14) To use officers, employees, agents, and facilities of units of local government or constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina for purposes and upon the terms that are mutually agreeable between the Authority and the unit or institution.
(15) To develop and make data, plans, information, surveys, and studies of public facilities within the area where constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina are located, and to prepare and make recommendations in regard thereto.
(16) To set and collect fees and charges for the use of the regional facility.
(17) To pay for services rendered by underwriters, financial consultants, or bond attorneys in connection with the issuance of revenue bonds or notes of the Authority out of the proceeds of the bonds or notes. In employing consultants, underwriters, attorneys, and others, the Authority shall promote participation by minority businesses.
(18) To purchase or finance real or personal property in the manner provided for cities and counties under G.S. 160A-20. (1995, c. 458, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014