The holder of a brewery permit may:
(1) Manufacture malt beverages.
(2) Purchase malt, hops and other ingredients used in the manufacture of malt beverages.
(3) Sell, deliver and ship malt beverages in closed containers to wholesalers licensed under this Chapter as authorized by the ABC laws, except that malt beverages may be sold to exporters and nonresident wholesalers only when the purchase is not for resale in this State.
(4) Receive malt beverages manufactured by the permittee in some other state for transshipment to dealers in other states.
(5) Furnish or sell marketable malt beverage products, or packages which do not conform to the manufacturer's marketing standards, if State taxes have been or will be paid, to its employees for the use of the employees or their families and guests in this State.
(6) Give its products to its employees and guests for consumption on its premises.
(7) In an area where the sale of any type of alcoholic beverage is authorized by law, sell the brewery's malt beverages or malt beverages manufactured by the permittee in some other state that have been approved by the Commission for sale in North Carolina only at the brewery upon receiving a permit under G.S. 18B-1001(1).
(8) Obtain a malt beverage wholesaler permit to sell, deliver, and ship at wholesale only malt beverages manufactured by the brewery. The authorization of this subdivision applies to a brewery that sells, to consumers at the brewery, to wholesalers, to retailers, and to exporters, fewer than 25,000 barrels, as defined in G.S. 81A-9, of malt beverages produced by it per year. A brewery not exceeding the sales quantity limitations in this subdivision may also sell the malt beverages manufactured by the brewery at not more than three other locations in the State, where the sale is legal, upon obtaining the appropriate permits under G.S. 18B-1001. A brewery operating any additional retail location pursuant to this subdivision shall also offer for sale at that location a reasonable selection of competitive malt beverage products.
A sale or gift under subdivision (5) or (6) shall not be considered a retail or wholesale sale under the ABC laws. (1945, c. 903, s. 1; 1947, c. 1098, ss. 2, 3; 1949, c. 974, s. 1; 1957, cc. 1048, 1448; 1963, c. 426, ss. 10, 12; c. 460, s. 1; 1971, c. 872, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 128; 1975, c. 586, s. 1; c. 654, ss. 1, 2; c. 722, s. 1; 1977, c. 70, s. 19; c. 182, s. 1; c. 669, ss. 1, 2; c. 676, ss. 1, 2; c. 911; 1979, c. 348, ss. 2, 3; c. 683, ss. 5, 6, 11, 12; 1981, c. 412, s. 2; 1985, c. 596, s. 2; 1989, c. 800, s. 4; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 920, s. 9; 1993, c. 415, s. 20; 2003-430, s. 1; 2004-203, s. 29; 2011-107, s. 2; 2011-419, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014