(a) Authorization. - The holder of a wine wholesaler permit may:
(1) Receive, possess and transport shipments of fortified and unfortified wine. The wine must be received from one of the following:
a. A primary American source of supply for that wine as recognized by the Commission or as verified by the wholesaler.
b. A licensed North Carolina wholesaler who received the wine from a primary American source of supply and with whom the second wholesaler has a subcontracting agreement for distribution of the wine.
c. Another wholesaler from whom the purchasing wholesaler is purchasing the wholesaler's business or from whom the wholesaler is purchasing the brand or distribution rights for the wine being received.
d. Another wholesaler who also has distribution rights for the wine being received and from whom the wholesaler is acquiring the wine in order to address a temporary inventory shortage.
(2) Sell, deliver and ship wine in closed containers for purposes of resale to wholesalers or retailers licensed under this Chapter as authorized by the ABC laws.
(3) Furnish and sell wine to its employees, subject to the rules of the Commission and the Department of Revenue.
(4) In locations where the sale is legal, furnish wine to guests and any other person who does not hold an ABC permit, for promotional purposes, subject to rules of the Commission.
(5) Sell out-of-date unfortified and fortified wines to holders of cider and vinegar manufacturer permits, provided that each bottle is marked "out-of-date" by the wholesaler.
(b) Distribution Agreements. - Wine distribution agreements are governed by Article 12 of this Chapter. (1945, c. 903, s. 1; 1947, c. 1098, ss. 2, 3; 1949, c. 974, s. 1; 1957, cc. 1048, 1448; 1963, c. 426, ss. 10, 12; c. 460, s. 1; 1971, c. 872, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 128; 1975, c. 586, s. 1; c. 654, ss. 1, 2; c. 722, s. 1; 1977, c. 70, s. 19; c. 182, s. 1; c. 669, ss. 1, 2; c. 676, ss. 1, 2; c. 911; 1979, c. 348, ss. 2, 3; c. 683, ss. 5, 6, 11, 12; 1981, c. 412, s. 2; 1983, c. 85, s. 1; 1997-134, s. 4; 2006-227, s. 12.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014