(a) Duration. - Once issued, ABC permits shall be valid for the following periods, unless earlier surrendered, suspended or revoked:
(1) On-premises and off-premises malt beverage, unfortified wine, and fortified wine permits; culinary permits; and all permits listed in G.S. 18B-1100 shall remain valid indefinitely;
(2) Limited special occasion permits shall be valid for 48 hours before and after the occasion for which the permit was issued;
(3) Special one-time permits issued under G.S. 18B-1002 shall be valid for the period stated on the permit;
(4) Temporary permits issued under G.S. 18B-905 shall be valid for 90 days; and
(5) All other ABC permits shall be valid for one year, from May 1 to April 30.
(b) Renewal. - Application for renewal of an ABC permit shall be on a form provided by the Commission. An application for renewal shall be accompanied by an application fee of twenty-five percent (25%) of the original application fee set in G.S. 18B-902, except that the renewal application fee for each wine shop permit shall be five hundred dollars ($500.00), and the renewal application fee for each mixed beverages permit and each guest room cabinet permit shall be seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00). A renewal fee shall not be refundable.
(b1) Registration. - Each person holding a malt beverage, fortified wine, or unfortified wine permit issued pursuant to G.S. 18B-902(d)(1) through G.S. 18B-902(d)(6) shall register by May 1 of each year on a form provided by the Commission, in order to provide information needed by the State in enforcing this Chapter and to support the costs of that enforcement. The registration required by this subsection shall be accompanied by an annual registration and inspection fee of two hundred dollars ($200.00) for each permit held. The fee shall be paid by May 1 of each year. A registration fee shall not be refundable. Failure to pay the annual registration and inspection fee shall result in revocation of the permit.
(b2) Recycling Plan Required. - Each person holding an on-premises malt beverage permit, on-premises unfortified wine permit, on-premises fortified wine permit, or a mixed beverages permit shall submit, along with the annual registration or renewal application, either a current plan for the collection and recycling of all recyclable beverage containers of all beverages sold at retail on the premises, or an application for a waiver pursuant to G.S. 18B-902(h).
(c) Change in Ownership. - All permits for an establishment shall automatically expire and shall be surrendered to the Commission if:
(1) Ownership of the establishment changes; or
(2) There is a change in the membership of the firm, association or partnership owning the establishment, involving the acquisition of a twenty-five percent (25%) or greater share in the firm, association or partnership by someone who did not previously own a twenty-five percent (25%) or greater share; or
(3) Twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the stock of the corporate permittee owning the establishment is acquired by someone who did not previously own twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the stock.
(d) Change in Management. - A corporation holding a permit for an establishment for which the manager is required to qualify as an applicant under G.S. 18B-900(c) shall, within 30 days after employing a new manager, submit to the Commission an application for substitution of a manager. The application shall be signed by the new manager, shall be on a form provided by the Commission, and shall be accompanied by a fee of ten dollars ($10.00). The fee shall not be refundable.
(e) Transfer. - An ABC permit may not be transferred from one person to another or from one location to another.
(f) Lost Permits. - The Commission may issue duplicate ABC permits for an establishment when the existing valid permits have been lost or damaged. The request for duplicate permits shall be on a form provided by the Commission, certified by the permittee and the Alcohol Law Enforcement Section, and accompanied by a fee of ten dollars ($10.00).
(g) Name Change. - The Commission may issue new permits to a permittee upon application and payment of a fee of ten dollars ($10.00) for each location when the permittee's name or name of the business is changed. (1971, c. 872, s. 1; 1975, c. 330, s. 1; c. 411, s. 4; 1981, c. 412, s. 2; c. 747, s. 57; 1983, c. 713, s. 106; 1989, c. 800, s. 8; 1991, c. 565, ss. 3, 7; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 920, s. 6; 1998-95, s. 30; 2002-126, s. 29A.13; 2004-203, s. 25(b); 2005-350, s. 2(c); 2007-402, s. 2(c); 2008-187, s. 7; 2009-105, s. 2; 2011-145, s. 19.1(n).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014