(a) Creation and Membership. - The Lottery Oversight Committee is established. The Committee shall be located administratively in the General Assembly. The Committee shall consist of nine members appointed as provided below. In making appointments, each appointing officer shall select members who have appropriate experience and knowledge of the issues to be examined by the Committee and shall strive to ensure racial, gender, and geographical diversity among the membership.
(1) Three members shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, at least one being an educator and at least one being a person trained or experienced in financial management.
(2) Three members shall be appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, at least one being an educator and at least one being a person trained or experienced in financial management.
(3) Three members shall be appointed by the Governor, at least one being an educator and at least one being a person trained or experienced in financial management.
(b) Terms. - Terms on the Committee are for three years and begin on January 1, except the terms of the initial members, which begin on appointment. A member continues to serve until a successor is appointed. A vacancy shall be filled within 30 days by the officer who made the original appointment.
(c) Purpose and Powers. - The Committee shall:
(1) Review whether expenditures of the net revenues of the Lottery have been in accordance with Article 7 of this Chapter, and study ways to ensure that net proceeds from the Lottery will not be used to supplant education funding but to provide additional funding for education.
(2) Receive and review reports submitted to the General Assembly pursuant to Chapter 18C of the General Statutes.
(3) Study other Lottery matters as the Committee considers necessary to fulfill its mandate.
(d) Reports. - The Committee shall report its analysis and any findings and recommendations to the General Assembly by September 15 of each year. The Committee may make interim reports to the General Assembly regarding the expenditure of net Lottery revenues.
(e) Organization. - The President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall each designate a cochair of the Committee. The Committee shall meet at least once a quarter upon the joint call of the cochairs. A quorum of the Committee is six members. No action may be taken except by a majority vote at a meeting at which a quorum is present.
(f) Funding. - From funds available to the General Assembly, the Legislative Services Commission shall allocate monies to fund the work of the Committee. Members of the Committee receive subsistence and travel expenses as provided in G.S. 120-3.1 and G.S. 138-5.
(g) Staff. - The Legislative Services Commission, through the Legislative Services Officer, shall assign professional staff to assist the Committee in its work. Upon the direction of the Legislative Services Commission, the Director of Legislative Assistants of the Senate and of the House of Representatives shall assign clerical staff to the Committee. The expenses for clerical employees shall be borne by the Committee. (2006-225, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014