(a) In this section, "paper document" means a document that is received by the register of deeds in a form that is not electronic.
(b) A register of deeds:
(1) Who implements any of the functions listed in this section shall do so in compliance with standards adopted by the Secretary of State.
(2) May receive, index, store, archive, and transmit electronic documents.
(3) May provide for access to, and for search and retrieval of, documents and information by electronic means.
(4) Who accepts electronic documents for recording shall continue to accept paper documents as authorized by law and shall place entries for both types of documents in the same index.
(5) May convert paper documents accepted for recording into electronic form.
(6) May convert into electronic form information recorded before the register of deeds began to record electronic documents.
(7) May accept electronically any fee or tax that the register of deeds is authorized to collect.
(8) May agree with other officials of this State or a political subdivision thereof on procedures or processes to facilitate the electronic satisfaction of conditions to recording and the electronic payment of fees and taxes. (2005-391, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014