North Carolina General Statutes § 54B-121 Creation of withdrawable accounts

(a)        Every State association shall be authorized to raise capital through the solicitation of investments from any person, natural or corporate, except as restricted or limited by law, or by such regulations as the Commissioner of Banks may prescribe.

(b)        Such funds obtained through the solicitation of investments shall be held by an association in accounts designated generally as withdrawable accounts.

(c)        An association may establish as many classes of withdrawable accounts as may be provided for in its certificate of incorporation or bylaws, subject to such regulations and limitations as the Commissioner of Banks may prescribe.

(1)        At least one class of withdrawable accounts shall be established by which the holder, upon notice to the association, shall be able to withdraw the entire balance of such account without any penalty. The required period of notice, not to exceed 30 days, shall be determined by the board of directors of each association.

(2)        For any additional classes of withdrawable accounts that may be established, the board may require a fixed minimum amount of money and a fixed minimum term, at the end of which, the account holder, without any notice on his part, shall be entitled to payment of the final balance of the funds in such account. Such minimum amount and minimum term and the rate of dividends on withdrawable accounts shall be agreed upon prior to the transfer to the association of any funds by the account holder and shall be evidenced by an executed contract.

a.         An association may impose a penalty upon the holder of such account to be assessed at the time of any withdrawal from the account prior to the date of termination of the minimum term for which the account holder contracted.

b.         An association may require that the holder of such an account provide the association with not less than 30 days' notice of an intended withdrawal prior to the date of the termination of the account contract.

c.         When the date of termination of such an account is passed and the account is mature and payable, all payments thereon by the holder and all dividends on withdrawable account credits thereto by the association shall cease. However, if the holder shall notify the association, prior to the termination date of the account, that he wishes to extend the life of the account, the association shall renew the account and continue to accept payments and/or make dividends on withdrawable account credits or cancel the account as provided under the original contract.

d.         Unless the association receives notification within the proper time period and renews the account, then upon the date of termination, it shall either pay to the holder of the account the final value thereof, or mail a notice to the holder at his last address as it appears on the records of the association to the effect that he is entitled to receive payment for the account.

e.         If the association does not make payment to the holder of the account upon the date of termination and instead mails a notice to him as provided in paragraph d above, then until such time as the holder is paid, the account shall earn dividends on withdrawable accounts at a rate not less than the rate which the association is paying on its account or accounts established under subdivision (1) above, unless provided otherwise by the account contract.

f.          Whenever an association has funds in an amount insufficient to make immediate payment upon the date of termination of an account, or upon an application for withdrawal, the maturity shall be paid in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 54B-124. Whenever such a situation arises, dividends on withdrawable accounts shall be credited to the account at a rate not less than the rate provided for in the account contract.

(3)        An association may establish demand deposit accounts as a class of withdrawable accounts. The association shall not permit any overdraft, including an intraday overdraft, on behalf of an affiliate or incur any overdraft in the association's account at a federal reserve bank or federal home loan bank on behalf of an affiliate. (1981, c. 282, s. 3; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1238, s. 12; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 806, s. 9; 2001-193, s. 16.)

Sections:  Previous  54B-104  54B-105  54B-106  54B-107  54B-108  54B-109  54B-110  54B-121  54B-122  54B-123  54B-124  54B-125  54B-126  54B-127  54B-128  Next

Last modified: March 23, 2014