As used in this Article:
(1) "Collision damage waiver" means any contract or contractual provision, whether separate from or a part of a rental agreement, whereby the rental car company agrees for a charge to waive any and all claims against the renter for any damages to the rented vehicle during the term of the rental agreement.
(2) "Damage" means any damage or loss to the rented vehicle, including loss of use and any costs and expenses incident to the damage or loss.
(3) "Person" includes an individual, aggregation of individuals, corporation, company, association, or partnership.
(4) "Rental agreement" means any written agreement setting forth the terms and the conditions governing the use of a vehicle provided by the rental car company.
(5) "Rental car company" means any person in the business of providing vehicles to the public.
(6) "Renter" means any person obtaining the use of a vehicle from a rental car company under the terms of a rental agreement.
(7) "Vehicle" means a motor vehicle of the private passenger type including passenger vans and minivans that are primarily intended for transport of persons.
(8) "Vehicle license and registration fees" means charges that may be imposed upon any rental transaction originating in this State to recoup the costs incurred by a rental car company to license, title, inspect, and register rental vehicles. Rental car companies shall make a good faith effort to ensure that any vehicle license and registration fees collected do not exceed the actual costs incurred by the rental car company to license, title, inspect, and register rental vehicles. Any amounts collected by the rental car company in excess of the actual amount of its costs incurred shall be retained by the rental car company and applied to the costs incurred in the next calendar year for licensing, titling, inspecting, and registering rental vehicles. In that event, the good faith estimate of any vehicle license and registration fees to be charged by the company in the next calendar year shall be reduced to take into account the excess amount collected from the prior year. (1989, c. 631, s. 2; c. 770, s. 62; 2007-235, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014