(a) In any case where a juvenile is placed on probation pursuant to G.S. 7B-2506(8), the juvenile court counselor shall have the authority to visit the juvenile where the juvenile resides. The court may impose conditions of probation that are related to the needs of the juvenile and that are reasonably necessary to ensure that the juvenile will lead a law-abiding life, including:
(1) That the juvenile shall remain on good behavior.
(2) That the juvenile shall not violate any laws.
(3) That the juvenile shall not violate any reasonable and lawful rules of a parent, guardian, or custodian.
(4) That the juvenile attend school regularly.
(5) That the juvenile maintain passing grades in up to four courses during each grading period and meet with the juvenile court counselor and a representative of the school to make a plan for how to maintain those passing grades.
(6) That the juvenile not associate with specified persons or be in specified places.
(7) That the juvenile:
a. Refrain from use or possession of any controlled substance included in any schedule of Article 5 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes, the Controlled Substances Act;
b. Refrain from use or possession of any alcoholic beverage regulated under Chapter 18B of the General Statutes; and
c. Submit to random drug testing.
(8) That the juvenile abide by a prescribed curfew.
(9) That the juvenile submit to a warrantless search at reasonable times.
(10) That the juvenile possess no firearm, explosive device, or other deadly weapon.
(11) That the juvenile report to a juvenile court counselor as often as required by the juvenile court counselor.
(12) That the juvenile make specified financial restitution or pay a fine in accordance with G.S. 7B-2506(4), (5), and (22).
(13) That the juvenile be employed regularly if not attending school.
(14) That the juvenile satisfy any other conditions determined appropriate by the court.
(b) In addition to the regular conditions of probation specified in subsection (a) of this section, the court may, at a dispositional hearing or any subsequent hearing, order the juvenile to comply, if directed to comply by the chief court counselor, with one or more of the following conditions:
(1) Perform up to 20 hours of community service;
(2) Submit to substance abuse monitoring and treatment;
(3) Participate in a life skills or an educational skills program administered by the Division;
(4) Cooperate with electronic monitoring; and
(5) Cooperate with intensive supervision.
However, the court shall not give the chief court counselor discretion to impose the conditions of either subsection (4) or (5) of this section unless the juvenile is subject to Level 2 dispositions pursuant to G.S. 7B-2508 or subsection (d) of this section.
(c) An order of probation shall remain in force for a period not to exceed one year from the date entered. Prior to expiration of an order of probation, the court may extend it for an additional period of one year after a hearing, if the court finds that the extension is necessary to protect the community or to safeguard the welfare of the juvenile.
(d) On motion of the juvenile court counselor or the juvenile, or on the court's own motion, the court may review the progress of any juvenile on probation at any time during the period of probation or at the end of probation. The conditions or duration of probation may be modified only as provided in this Subchapter and only after notice and a hearing.
(e) If the court, after notice and a hearing, finds by the greater weight of the evidence that the juvenile has violated the conditions of probation set by the court, the court may continue the original conditions of probation, modify the conditions of probation, or, except as provided in subsection (f) of this section, order a new disposition at the next higher level on the disposition chart in G.S. 7B-2508. In the court's discretion, part of the new disposition may include an order of confinement in a secure juvenile detention facility for up to twice the term authorized by G.S. 7B-2508.
(f) A court shall not order a Level 3 disposition for violation of the conditions of probation by a juvenile adjudicated delinquent for an offense classified as minor under G.S. 7B-2508. (1979, c. 815, s. 1; 1981, c. 469, s. 20; 1991, c. 353, s. 1; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1030, s. 4; 1993, c. 369, s. 1; c. 462, s. 1; 1998-202, s. 6; 2000-137, s. 3; 2001-490, ss. 2.23, 2.24; 2011-145, s. 19.1(l).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014