(A) The probate court may enter an order that authorizes a person under a duty to pay or deliver money or personal property to a minor who does not have a guardian of the person and estate or a guardian of the estate, to perform that duty in amounts not exceeding five thousand dollars annually, by paying or delivering the money or property to any of the following:
(1) The guardian of the person only of the minor;
(2) The minor's natural guardians, if any, as determined pursuant to section 2111.08 of the Revised Code;
(3) The minor;
(4) Any person who has the care and custody of the minor and with whom the minor resides, other than a guardian of the person only or a natural guardian;
(5) A financial institution incident to a deposit in a federally insured savings account in the sole name of the minor;
(6) A custodian designated by the court in its order, for the minor under sections 5814.01 to 5814.09 of the Revised Code.
(B) An order entered pursuant to division (A) of this section authorizes the person or entity specified in it, to receive the money or personal property on behalf of the minor from the person under the duty to pay or deliver it, in amounts not exceeding five thousand dollars annually. Money or personal property so received by guardians of the person only, natural guardians, and custodians as described in division (A)(4) of this section may be used by them only for the support, maintenance, or education of the minor involved. The order of the court is prima-facie evidence that a guardian of the person only, a natural guardian, or a custodian as described in division (A)(4) of this section has the authority to use the money or personal property received.
(C) A person who pays or delivers moneys or personal property in accordance with a court order entered pursuant to division (A) of this section is not responsible for the proper application of the moneys or property by the recipient.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.52, SB 124, §1, eff. 1/13/2012.
Effective Date: 10-04-1984; 01-01-2007Section: Previous 2111.09 2111.091 2111.10 2111.11 2111.12 2111.121 2111.13 2111.131 2111.14 2111.141 2111.15 2111.151 2111.16 2111.17 2111.18 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016