Ohio Revised Code § 2111.18 - Claim For Injury To Ward Or Damage To Property - Settlement.

If personal injury, damage to tangible or intangible property, or damage or loss on account of personal injury or damage to tangible or intangible property is caused to a ward by wrongful act, neglect, or default that would entitle the ward to maintain an action and recover damages for the injury, damage, or loss, and when any ward is entitled to maintain an action for damages or any other relief based on any claim or is subject to any claim to recover damages or any other relief based on any claim, the guardian of the estate of the ward may adjust and settle the claim with the advice, approval, and consent of the probate court. If it is proposed that a claim be settled for the net amount of twenty-five thousand dollars or less after payment of fees and expenses as allowed by the court, the court, upon application by any suitable person whom the court may authorize to receive and receipt for the settlement, may authorize the settlement without the appointment of a guardian and authorize the delivery of the moneys as provided in section 2111.05 of the Revised Code. The court may authorize the person receiving the moneys to execute a complete release on account of the receipt. The payment shall be a complete and final discharge of that claim. In the settlement, if the ward is a minor, the parent or parents of the minor may waive all claim for damages on account of loss of service of the minor, and that claim may be included in the settlement.

Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.13, SB 106, ยง1, eff. 3/23/2010.

Effective Date: 05-31-1990

Section: Previous  2111.131  2111.14  2111.141  2111.15  2111.151  2111.16  2111.17  2111.18  2111.181  2111.19  2111.20  2111.21  2111.22  2111.23  2111.24  Next

Last modified: October 10, 2016