(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Amblyopia" means reduced vision in an eye that has not received adequate use during early childhood.
(2) "501(c) organization" means an organization exempt from federal income taxation pursuant to 26 U.S.C.A. 501(a) and (c).
(B) There is hereby created in the state treasury the save our sight fund. The fund shall consist of voluntary contributions deposited as provided in section 4503.104 of the Revised Code. All investment earnings from the fund shall be credited to the fund.
(C) The director of health shall use the money in the save our sight fund as follows:
(1) To provide support to 501(c) organizations that offer vision services in all counties of the state and have demonstrated experience in the delivery of vision services to do one or more of the following:
(a) Implement a voluntary children's vision screening training and certification program for volunteers, child care providers, nurses, teachers, health care professionals practicing in primary care settings, and others serving children;
(b) Provide materials for the program implemented under division (C)(1)(a) of this section;
(c) Develop and implement a registry and targeted voluntary case management system to determine whether children with amblyopia are receiving professional eye care and to provide their parents with information and support regarding their child's vision care;
(d) Establish a matching grant program for the purchase and distribution of protective eyewear to children;
(e) Provide vision health and safety programs and materials for classrooms.
(2) For the purpose of section 4503.104 of the Revised Code, to develop and distribute informational materials on the importance of eye care and safety to the registrar of motor vehicles and each deputy registrar;
(3) To pay costs incurred by the director in administering the fund;
(4) To reimburse the bureau of motor vehicles for the administrative costs incurred in performing its duties under section 4503.104 of the Revised Code.
(D) A 501(c) organization seeking funding from the save our sight fund for any of the projects specified in division (C) of this section shall submit a request for the funding to the director in accordance with rules adopted under division (E) of this section. The director shall determine the appropriateness of and approve or disapprove projects for funding and approve or disapprove the disbursement of money from the save our sight fund.
(E) The director shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to implement this section. The rules shall include the parameters of the projects specified in division (C)(1) of this section that may be funded with money in the save our sight fund and procedures for 501(c) organizations to request funding from the fund.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 07-01-1999; 05-18-2005Section: Previous 3701.162 3701.17 3701.18 3701.181 3701.19 3701.20 3701.201 3701.21 3701.22 3701.221 3701.23 3701.231 3701.232 3701.24 3701.241 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016