(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Bioterrorism" means the intentional use of any microorganism, virus, infectious substance, or biological product that may be engineered as a result of biotechnology, or any naturally occurring or bioengineered component of a microorganism, virus, infectious substance, or biological product, to cause death, disease, or other biological malfunction in a human, animal, plant, or other living organism as a means of influencing the conduct of government or intimidating or coercing a population.
(2) "Pharmacist" means an individual licensed under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code to engage in the practice of pharmacy as a pharmacist.
(3) "Pharmacy" and "prescription" have the same meanings as in section 4729.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) The director of health shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code under which a pharmacy or pharmacist is required to report significant changes in medication usage that may be caused by bioterrorism, epidemic or pandemic disease, or established or novel infectious agents or biological toxins posing a risk of human fatality or disability. Rules adopted under this section may require a report of any of the following:
(1) An unexpected increase in the number of prescriptions for antibiotics;
(2) An unexpected increase in the number of prescriptions for medication to treat fever or respiratory or gastrointestinal complaints;
(3) An unexpected increase in sales of, or the number of requests for information on, over-the-counter medication to treat fever or respiratory or gastrointestinal complaints;
(4) Any prescription for medication used to treat a disease that is relatively uncommon and may have been caused by bioterrorism.
(C) No person shall fail to comply with any reporting requirement established in rules adopted under division (B) of this section.
(D) Information reported under this section that is protected health information pursuant to section 3701.17 of the Revised Code shall be released only in accordance with that section. Information that does not identify an individual may be released in summary, statistical, or aggregate form.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 02-12-2004Section: Previous 3701.20 3701.201 3701.21 3701.22 3701.221 3701.23 3701.231 3701.232 3701.24 3701.241 3701.242 3701.243 3701.244 3701.245 3701.246 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016