(A) In addition to any duties and responsibilities that the Ohio state university African American and African studies community extension center may prescribe for the commission on African-American males under section 4112.12 of the Revised Code, the commission on African-American males shall do all of the following:
(1) Oversee and supervise four separate and distinct subcommittees devoted to solving problems and advancing recommendations exclusively pertinent to black males in the areas of unemployment, criminal justice, education, and health;
(2) Conduct research to determine the nature and extent of the problems concerning black males in the four areas targeted in division (A)(1) of this section;
(3) Hold public hearings for the purpose of collecting data;
(4) Identify existing federal, state, and local programs that address problems and solutions relevant to the four targeted areas of study;
(5) Implement appropriate new programs and demonstration projects especially designed for black males;
(6) Develop and implement community education and public awareness programs especially designed for black males;
(7) Develop strategies to improve the social condition of black males;
(8) Report to the governor, the general assembly, the auditor of state, the secretary of state, the attorney general, and the chief justice of the Ohio supreme court at least biennially on the activities, findings, and recommendations of the commission;
(9) Accept gifts, grants, donations, contributions, benefits, and other funds from any public agency or private source to carry out any or all of the commission's powers or duties. Such funds shall be deposited in the commission on African-American males fund, which is hereby created in the state treasury. All gifts, grants, donations, contributions, benefits, and other funds received by the commission under division (A)(9) of this section, when appropriated to the commission, shall be used solely to support the operations of the commission.
(B) The chairperson of the commission may appoint any number of individuals to serve on the subcommittees created in division (A)(1) of this section. Members of subcommittees serve at the discretion of the chairperson.
Effective Date: 07-01-1993; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4Section: Previous 4112.06 4112.061 4112.07 4112.08 4112.09 4112.10 4112.11 4112.12 4112.13 4112.14 4112.15 4112.31 4112.32 4112.99 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016