(A) Any person whose driver's or commercial driver's license or permit is suspended or who is granted limited driving privileges under section 4510.037, under division (H) of section 4511.19, or under section 4510.07 of the Revised Code for a violation of a municipal ordinance that is substantially equivalent to division (B) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code is not eligible to retain the license, or to have the driving privileges reinstated, until each of the following has occurred:
(1) The person successfully completes a course of remedial driving instruction approved by the director of public safety. A minimum of twenty-five per cent of the number of hours of instruction included in the course shall be devoted to instruction on driver attitude.
The course also shall devote a number of hours to instruction in the area of alcohol and drugs and the operation of vehicles. The instruction shall include, but not be limited to, a review of the laws governing the operation of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a combination of them, the dangers of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a combination of them, and other information relating to the operation of vehicles and the consumption of alcoholic beverages and use of drugs. The director, in consultation with the director of mental health and addiction services, shall prescribe the content of the instruction. The number of hours devoted to the area of alcohol and drugs and the operation of vehicles shall comprise a minimum of twenty-five per cent of the number of hours of instruction included in the course.
(2) The person is examined in the manner provided for in section 4507.20 of the Revised Code, and found by the registrar of motor vehicles to be qualified to operate a motor vehicle;
(3) The person gives and maintains proof of financial responsibility, in accordance with section 4509.45 of the Revised Code.
(1) Except as provided in division (B)(2) of this section, any course of remedial driving instruction the director of public safety approves under this section shall require its students to attend at least fifty per cent of the course in person and the director shall not approve any course of remedial driving instruction that permits its students to take more than fifty per cent of the course in any other manner, including via video teleconferencing or the internet.
(2) The director may approve a course of remedial instruction that permits students to take the entire course via video teleconferencing or the internet.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 2007 HB67 07-03-2007Section: Previous 4510.03 4510.031 4510.032 4510.034 4510.035 4510.036 4510.037 4510.038 4510.04 4510.05 4510.06 4510.07 4510.10 4510.11 4510.111 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016