(A) Sections 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99, and 4513.01 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code do not prevent local authorities from carrying out the following activities with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power:
(1) Regulating the stopping, standing, or parking of vehicles, trackless trolleys, and streetcars;
(2) Regulating traffic by means of police officers or traffic control devices;
(3) Regulating or prohibiting processions or assemblages on the highways;
(4) Designating particular highways as one-way highways and requiring that all vehicles, trackless trolleys, and streetcars on the one-way highways be moved in one specific direction;
(5) Regulating the speed of vehicles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys in public parks;
(6) Designating any highway as a through highway and requiring that all vehicles, trackless trolleys, and streetcars stop before entering or crossing a through highway, or designating any intersection as a stop intersection and requiring all vehicles, trackless trolleys, and streetcars to stop at one or more entrances to the intersection;
(7) Regulating or prohibiting vehicles and trackless trolleys from passing to the left of safety zones;
(8) Regulating the operation of bicycles ; provided that no such regulation shall be fundamentally inconsistent with the uniform rules of the road prescribed by this chapter and that no such regulation shall prohibit the use of bicycles on any public street or highway except as provided in section 4511.051 of the Revised Code;
(9) Requiring the registration and licensing of bicycles, including the requirement of a registration fee for residents of the local authority;
(10) Regulating the use of certain streets by vehicles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys.
(B) No ordinance or regulation enacted under division (A)(4), (5), (6), (7), (8), or (10) of this section shall be effective until signs giving notice of the local traffic regulations are posted upon or at the entrance to the highway or part of the highway affected, as may be most appropriate.
(C) Every ordinance, resolution, or regulation enacted under division (A)(1) of this section shall be enforced in compliance with section 4511.071 of the Revised Code, unless the local authority that enacted it also enacted an ordinance, resolution, or regulation pursuant to division (A) of section 4521.02 of the Revised Code that specifies that a violation of it shall not be considered a criminal offense, in which case the ordinance, resolution, or regulation shall be enforced in compliance with Chapter 4521. of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 01-01-1983; 09-21-2006Section: Previous 4511.04 4511.041 4511.042 4511.043 4511.05 4511.051 4511.06 4511.07 4511.071 4511.08 4511.09 4511.091 4511.0910 4511.0911 4511.0912 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016