(1) The State Court Administrator shall cause to be prepared at least once each year a master jury list containing names selected at random from the source lists. The source lists are the most recent list of electors of the county, the records furnished by the Department of Transportation as provided in ORS 802.260 (2) and any other sources approved by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court that will furnish a fair cross section of the citizens of the county. The State Court Administrator and circuit courts may use source lists obtained from any person or public body, and jury lists containing names selected from a source list, only for purposes consistent with administering the selection and summoning of persons for service as jurors, the drawing of names of jurors, and other tasks necessary to accomplish those functions. Source lists may not contain and the State Court Administrator is not required to obtain information about individuals who are participants in the Address Confidentiality Program under ORS 192.820 to 192.868. Except as specifically provided by law, the State Court Administrator and circuit courts may not disclose source lists obtained from any person or public body, and jury lists containing names selected from a source list, to any other person or public body.
(2) A public body having custody, possession or control of any list that may be used as a source list for preparation of a master jury list, upon written request by the State Court Administrator, shall make its list available at any reasonable time and, except as otherwise provided in ORS 802.260, without charge to the State Court Administrator for inspection or copying. The public body, upon written request by the State Court Administrator, shall provide a copy of its list for the date and in the form requested to the State Court Administrator. Except as otherwise provided in ORS 802.260, the copy shall be provided without charge.
(3) The number of names placed on a master jury list shall be sufficient to meet the projected need for grand jurors and trial jurors in the circuit court in the county, but the total number may not be less than two percent of the population of the county according to the latest federal decennial census.
(4) A master jury list shall contain the first name, the surname, the place of residence and, if assigned, the juror identification number of each person whose name is placed thereon.
(5) A master jury list shall be certified by the trial court administrator and placed on file in the circuit court as soon as possible after it is prepared.
(6) A newly filed master jury list shall be maintained separately from the previously filed master jury list. The presiding judge shall designate when a newly filed master jury list becomes effective, after which time names of persons may not be selected from the previously filed master jury list for a term jury list. When a newly filed master jury list becomes effective, all orders, records and papers prepared in connection with the selection process based on the previously filed master jury list shall be preserved by the trial court administrator and State Court Administrator for the period prescribed by the State Court Administrator under ORS 8.125.
(7) The State Court Administrator may make adjustments to the master jury list, and may authorize the presiding judge of a judicial district to make adjustments to a term jury list, for the purpose of updating the addresses of persons appearing on the lists and removing the names of persons who are deceased, permanently ineligible for jury service or permanently excused from jury service. The State Court Administrator shall ensure that a record is maintained of all adjustments to jury lists made under this subsection.
(8) For the purposes of this section, “public body” has the meaning given that term in ORS 174.109. [1985 c.703 §13; 1987 c.681 §3; 1995 c.273 §6; 1995 c.781 §24a; 1997 c.872 §15; 2001 c.779 §14; 2003 c.803 §18; 2005 c.385 §5; 2007 c.542 §14]Section: Previous 10.130 10.135 10.140 10.150 10.160 10.205 10.210 10.215 10.220 10.225 10.230 10.235 10.240 10.245 10.250 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008