Oregon Statutes - Chapter 109 - Parent and Child Rights and Relationships - Section 109.103 - Proceeding to determine custody or support of child.

(1) If a child is born to an unmarried woman and paternity has been established under ORS 109.070, or if a child is born to a married woman by a man other than her husband and the manís paternity has been established under ORS 109.070, either parent may initiate a civil proceeding to determine the custody or support of, or parenting time with, the child. The proceeding shall be brought in the circuit court of the county in which the child resides or is found or in the circuit court of the county in which either parent resides. The parents have the same rights and responsibilities regarding the custody and support of, and parenting time with, their child that married or divorced parents would have, and the provisions of ORS 107.093 to 107.425 that relate to custody, support and parenting time apply to the proceeding.

(2) A parent may initiate the proceeding by filing with the court a petition setting forth the facts and circumstances upon which the parent relies. The parent shall state in the petition, to the extent known:

(a) Whether there is pending in this state or any other jurisdiction any type of support proceeding involving the child, including one brought under ORS 109.100, 109.165, 125.025, 416.400 to 416.465, 419B.400 or 419C.590 or ORS chapter 110; and

(b) Whether there exists in this state or any other jurisdiction a support order, as defined in ORS 110.303, involving the child.

(3) The parent shall include with the petition a certificate regarding any pending support proceeding and any existing support order. The parent shall use a certificate that is in a form established by court rule and include information required by court rule and subsection (2) of this section.

(4) When a parent initiates a proceeding under this section and the child support rights of one of the parents or of the child have been assigned to the state, the parent initiating the proceeding shall serve, by mail or personal delivery, a copy of the petition on the Administrator of the Division of Child Support or on the branch office providing support services to the county in which the suit is filed. [1975 c.640 §9; 2003 c.116 §9; 2003 c.572 §15; 2007 c.454 §2]

Section:  Previous  109.080  109.090  109.092  109.094  109.096  109.098  109.100  109.103  109.105  109.110  109.112  109.115  109.116  109.118  109.119  Next

Last modified: August 7, 2008