(1) The Secretary of State may employ and appoint necessary personnel, including clerks and assistants, to aid in the performance of the duties of the office of the Secretary of State.
(2) The personnel shall be paid out of the State Treasury, and their compensation may not exceed the appropriation of the Legislative Assembly for the compensation.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, ORS chapter 240 does not apply to the office of the Secretary of State.
(4) ORS 240.165, 240.167, 240.240 (3) and 240.321 apply to the office of the Secretary of State.
(5) The Secretary of State shall adopt rules, policies and procedures necessary to establish a system of personnel administration based on merit principles. The system must include provisions for the transfer of accumulated leave with pay between the office of the Secretary of State and other state agencies. For employees who do not serve at the pleasure of the Secretary of State or who are not subject to a collective bargaining agreement, the system must provide standards for discipline and dismissal and a process for appeal of decisions related to discipline and dismissal.
(6) The clerks and assistants shall take an oath to support the Oregon Constitution and faithfully to discharge the duties of their positions. [Amended by 1955 c.287 §17; 1981 c.528 §3; 2005 c.751 §1]Section: Previous 177.010 177.020 177.030 177.040 177.050 177.060 177.070 177.075 177.080 177.090 177.100 177.110 177.120 177.130 177.140 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008