(1) A notary public may select notarial certificates pursuant to ORS 194.005 to 194.200 and 194.505 to 194.595.
(2) A notary may not make representations to have powers, qualifications, rights or privileges that the office of notary does not have including the power to counsel on immigration matters.
(3) A notary who is not licensed to practice law in this state and who advertises notarial services in a language other than English shall include in the advertisement, notice or sign, in the same language and in English, the following:
(a) A statement, prominently displayed: “I am not licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and I am not permitted to give legal advice on immigration or other legal matters or accept fees for legal advice.”; and
(b) The fees for notarial acts specified under ORS 194.164.
(4) The notary shall post the notice required under subsection (3) of this section in a conspicuous place in the notary’s place of business.
(5) A person may not use the term “notario publico” or any equivalent non-English term, in any business card, advertisement, notice, sign or in any other manner that misrepresents the authority of a notary public. [1989 c.976 §23]
(Fees for Notarial Acts)Section: Previous 194.140 194.150 194.152 194.154 194.156 194.158 194.160 194.162 194.164 194.166 194.168 194.170 194.180 194.190 194.200 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008