As used in ORS 243.860 to 243.886, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Benefit plan” includes but is not limited to:
(a) Contracts for insurance or other benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability and other health care recognized by state law, and related services and supplies;
(b) Self-insurance programs managed by the Oregon Educators Benefit Board; and
(c) Comparable benefits for employees who rely on spiritual means of healing.
(2) “Carrier” means an insurance company or health care service contractor holding a valid certificate of authority from the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, or two or more companies or contractors acting together pursuant to a joint venture, partnership or other joint means of operation, or a board-approved provider or guarantor of benefit plan coverage and compensation.
(3) “District” means a common school district, a union high school district, an education service district, as defined in ORS 334.003, or a community college district, as defined in ORS 341.005.
(4)(a) “Eligible employee” includes:
(A) An officer or employee of a district who elects to participate in one of the benefit plans described in ORS 243.864 to 243.874; and
(B) An officer or employee of a district, whether or not retired, who:
(i) Is receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under the Public Employees Retirement System or is receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under any other retirement or disability benefit plan or system offered by the district for its officers and employees;
(ii) Is eligible to receive a service retirement allowance under the Public Employees Retirement System and has reached earliest service retirement age under ORS chapter 238;
(iii) Is eligible to receive a pension under ORS 238A.100 to 238A.245 and has reached earliest retirement age as described in ORS 238A.165; or
(iv) Is eligible to receive a service retirement allowance or pension under any other retirement benefit plan or system offered by the district and has attained earliest retirement age under the plan or system.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(B) of this subsection, “eligible employee” does not include an individual:
(A) Engaged as an independent contractor;
(B) Whose periods of employment in emergency work are on an intermittent or irregular basis; or
(C) Who is employed on less than a half-time basis unless the individual is employed in a position classified as a job-sharing position or unless the individual is defined as eligible under rules of the Oregon Educators Benefit Board or under a collective bargaining agreement.
(5) “Family member” means an eligible employee’s spouse or domestic partner and any unmarried child or stepchild of an eligible employee within age limits and other conditions imposed by the Oregon Educators Benefit Board with regard to unmarried children or stepchildren.
(6) “Payroll disbursing officer” means the officer or official authorized to disburse moneys in payment of salaries and wages of officers and employees of a district.
(7) “Premium” means the monthly or other periodic charge, including administrative fees of the Oregon Educators Benefit Board, for a benefit plan. [2007 c.7 §1]
Note: 243.860 to 243.886 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 243 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 243.793 243.795 243.800 243.810 243.820 243.830 243.850 243.860 243.862 243.864 243.866 243.868 243.870 243.872 243.874 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008