(1) The Oregon Educators Benefit Board shall contract for benefit plans best designed to meet the needs and provide for the welfare of eligible employees and the districts. In considering whether to enter into a contract for a benefit plan, the board shall place emphasis on:
(a) Employee choice among high-quality plans;
(b) Encouragement of a competitive marketplace;
(c) Plan performance and information;
(d) District flexibility in plan design and contracting;
(e) Quality customer service;
(f) Creativity and innovation;
(g) Plan benefits as part of total employee compensation; and
(h) Improvement of employee health.
(2) The board may approve more than one carrier for each type of benefit plan offered, but the board shall limit the number of carriers to a number consistent with adequate service to eligible employees and family members.
(3) When appropriate, the board shall provide options under which an eligible employee may arrange coverage for family members under a benefit plan.
(4) A district shall provide that payroll deductions for benefit plan costs that are not payable by the district may be made upon receipt of a signed authorization from the employee indicating an election to participate in the benefit plan or plans selected and allowing the deduction of those costs from the employee’s pay.
(5) In developing any benefit plan, the board may provide an option of additional coverage for eligible employees and family members at an additional premium.
(6) The board shall adopt rules providing that transfer of enrollment from one benefit plan to another is open to all eligible employees and family members. Because of the special problems that may arise involving acceptable physician-patient relations between a particular panel of physicians and a particular eligible employee or family member under a comprehensive group practice benefit plan, the board shall provide a procedure under which any eligible employee may apply at any time to substitute another benefit plan for participation in a comprehensive group practice benefit plan.
(7) An eligible employee who is retired is not required to participate in a health benefit plan offered under this section in order to obtain dental benefit plan coverage. The board shall establish by rule standards of eligibility for retired employees to participate in a dental benefit plan. [2007 c.7 §4]
Note: See note under 243.860.Section: Previous 243.810 243.820 243.830 243.850 243.860 243.862 243.864 243.866 243.868 243.870 243.872 243.874 243.876 243.878 243.880 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008