(1) Except as provided in ORS 247.012 and subsection (2) of this section, an election document and an accompanying payment of fees required to be filed with the Secretary of State, county clerk or other filing officer must be delivered to and actually received at the office of the designated officer not later than 5 p.m. of the day the document or fee is due or, if the day due is a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, on the next business day.
(2) If, at 5 p.m. of the day an election document is due, an individual is physically present in the office of the secretary, county clerk or other filing officer and in line waiting to deliver the document, the individual is considered to have begun the act of delivering the document and is permitted to file it.
(3) Any election document required to be filed with the filing officer other than ballots, voter registration cards or petitions requiring signatures of electors may also be filed by means of an electronic facsimile transmission machine. If an election document is required to be filed by a specified time, the entire document must be received in the office of the filing officer not later than 5 p.m. of the day the document is due or, if the day due is a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, on the next business day.
(4) Notwithstanding any provision of subsections (1) to (3) of this section, if a statement is required to be filed electronically under ORS 260.057:
(a) The statement must be received electronically at the office of the Secretary of State not later than 12 midnight of the day the statement is due or, if the day due is a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, on the next business day; and
(b) The Secretary of State may not accept the filing of the statement in any form other than an electronic format.
(5) As used in this section, “election document” includes, but is not limited to, a declaration of candidacy for nomination for public or political party office, completed nominating petitions, statements and portraits for voters’ pamphlets, statements of election campaign contributions and expenditures, and initiative, referendum or recall petitions. [Formerly 246.510; 1967 c.228 §1; 1979 c.190 §2; 1991 c.719 §4; 1993 c.713 §27; 1999 c.824 §9; 2005 c.809 §46; 2007 c.570 §5]Section: Previous 246.010 246.011 246.012 246.015 246.020 246.021 246.025 246.030 246.035 246.040 246.045 246.046 246.050 246.055 246.060 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008