(1) A precinct committeeperson shall be a representative of the major political party in the precinct. At the primary election a major political party shall elect from its members a committeeperson of each sex for every 500 electors, or major fraction thereof, who are registered in the precinct on January 31 of the year of the primary election. In any event the political party members of a precinct shall be entitled to elect not less than one committeeperson of each sex in the precinct. No person shall hold office as committeeperson in more than one precinct.
(2) A member of a major political party may become a candidate for precinct committeeperson of the precinct in which the person is registered, or of a precinct within the same county adjoining that precinct, by filing a declaration of candidacy described in ORS 249.031, except as provided in subsection (3) of this section.
(3) ORS 249.031 (1)(i) shall not apply to declarations of candidacy for candidates for precinct committeeperson.
(4) A member of the major political party who has been a member of that party for 180 days before the primary election may be elected by write-in votes as precinct committeeperson of the precinct in which the member is registered, or of a precinct within the same county adjoining that precinct.
(5) Unless a qualified person receives at least three votes, no person shall be deemed to have been elected as precinct committeeperson and the office of committeeperson shall be vacant.
(6) The term of office of a precinct committeeperson is from the 24th day after the date of the primary election until the 24th day after the date of the next following primary election.
(7) A precinct committeeperson shall not be considered a public officer. [1965 c.407 §§3, 7; subsection (6) enacted as 1967 c.540 §3 (3); 1969 c.282 §1; 1977 c.199 §1; 1977 c.644 §1; 1979 c.190 §73; 1981 c.862 §1; 1991 c.87 §1; 1991 c.107 §3; 1995 c.712 §17]Section: Previous 248.006 248.007 248.008 248.009 248.010 248.011 248.012 248.015 248.017 248.018 248.020 248.023 248.024 248.025 248.026 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008