(1) When a prospective petition for a district measure to be referred is filed with the elections officer, the officer shall authorize the circulation of the petition containing the title of the measure as enacted by the district elections authority or, if there is no title, the title supplied by the petitioner filing the prospective petition. The elections officer immediately shall send two copies of the prospective petition to the district attorney of the county in which the administrative office of the district is located.
(2) Not later than the sixth business day after a prospective petition for a district measure to be initiated is filed with the elections officer, the officer shall send two copies of it to the district attorney of the county in which the administrative office of the district is located if the measure to be initiated has been determined to be in compliance with section 1 (2)(d) and (5), Article IV of the Oregon Constitution, as provided in ORS 255.140.
(3) Not later than the fifth business day after receiving the copies of the prospective petition, the district attorney shall provide a ballot title for the district measure to be initiated or referred and return one copy of the prospective petition and the ballot title to the elections officer. Unless the circuit court certifies a different title, this ballot title shall be the title printed on the ballot.
(4) A copy of the ballot title shall be furnished to the chief petitioner.
(5) The elections officer, upon receiving a ballot title for a district measure to be referred or initiated from the district attorney, shall publish in the next available edition of a newspaper of general circulation in the district a notice of receipt of the ballot title including notice that an elector may file a petition for review of the ballot title not later than the date referred to in ORS 255.155. [1979 c.190 §293; 1985 c.808 §43; 1987 c.707 §20a; 1991 c.719 §29; 1995 c.607 §49; 2005 c.797 §45]Section: Previous 255.085 255.090 255.095 255.115 255.125 255.135 255.140 255.145 255.155 255.165 255.175 255.185 255.195 255.205 255.210 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008