(1) There is established an Oregon Tourism Commission consisting of nine members appointed by the Governor. Members of the commission are appointed to perform the duties of the commission as provided by law. Members are subject to confirmation by the Senate pursuant to section 4, Article III of the Oregon Constitution.
(2) In appointing members of the commission under subsection (1) of this section, the Governor shall:
(a) Appoint members representing the stateís various regions and areas of tourism activity.
(b) Appoint three members drawn from travel agencies, tour operators, private transportation, restaurants or businesses or organizations engaged in tourism promotion for cities or counties, cultural attractions, historic attractions, ski facilities or related recreational industries. At least 30 days prior to the expiration of the term of a member appointed under this paragraph, the Tourism Industry Council of Oregon may recommend to the Governor one or more tourism industry representatives for the Governorís consideration in filling the vacancy.
(c) Appoint at least one member to represent the public at large.
(d) Appoint five members drawn from the lodging industry. For purposes of this paragraph, the lodging industry consists of hotels, motels, resorts, bed and breakfast facilities, inns, recreational vehicle parks, campgrounds and guest ranches. At least 30 days prior to the expiration of the term of a member appointed under this paragraph, a statewide organization representing the lodging industry may recommend to the Governor one or more lodging industry representatives for the Governorís consideration in filling the vacancy.
(3) A member of the commission shall be appointed for a term of four years that begins on July 1. A member shall hold office for the term of the appointment and after the end of the term until a successor is appointed and qualified. Before the expiration of the term of a member, the Governor shall strive to appoint a successor. A member is eligible for one reappointment except that a member appointed to fill a vacancy for a partial term may be reappointed to fill a total of two full terms in addition to the partial term. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the Governor shall make an appointment to become effective immediately for the unexpired term.
(4) A member of the commission is entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495.
(5) The commission shall select one of its members to chair the commission and shall select another member to serve as vice chair, for such terms and with duties and powers necessary to perform the functions of the offices as the commission determines.
(6) A majority of the members of the commission constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(7) The Governor may remove a member of the commission for cause as provided in ORS 182.010 or 236.010. [Formerly 285A.261]Section: Previous 284.080 284.085 284.090 284.095 284.100 284.101 284.104 284.107 284.110 284.111 284.114 284.115 284.118 284.120 284.122 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008