The Oregon Tourism Commission shall perform the following duties:
(1) Serve as a body to advise governmental bodies and agencies and private persons on the development and implementation of state policies and programs relating to tourism and recreation and to assist in the coordination of these activities.
(2) Advise the Governor and direct the executive director of the commission on all matters pertaining to tourism.
(3) Prepare, approve and periodically revise and submit to the Governor, the Director of the Economic and Community Development Department and tourism industry associations a recommended comprehensive marketing plan for review by the Governor, the Director of the Economic and Community Development Department and the tourism industry associations. The comprehensive marketing plan shall be directed toward the accomplishment of at least the following purposes:
(a) Maximizing the return on public and private investment in tourism.
(b) Encouraging longer stays by visitors to Oregon.
(c) Reducing seasonal fluctuations in travel and tourist related industries.
(d) Encouraging visitors to be destination oriented in this state by targeting high-yield visitor segments that may include cultural tourism, agri-tourism, nature-based tourism or sports and adventure tourism.
(e) Encouraging visitors from foreign countries to come to Oregon.
(f) Encouraging Oregonians to vacation in Oregon.
(4) Develop a biennial budget for all operations of the commission and submit the budget to the Governor.
(5) Seek and receive the views of all levels of government and the private sector with respect to state programs and policies for the promotion and assistance of tourism.
(6) Prepare and adopt administrative rules necessary for the operation of the programs of the commission.
(7) Cooperate with educational institutions of the state in the development of educational programs preparing persons for supporting and leadership positions critical to the development of an economically strong and socially beneficial tourism industry in Oregon.
(8) Cooperate with and provide expertise for communities and tourism marketing associations in the development and promotion of their tourism attractions and businesses.
(9) Implement the comprehensive marketing plan described in subsection (3) of this section and promote tourism in the State of Oregon. [Formerly 285A.264]Section: Previous 284.090 284.095 284.100 284.101 284.104 284.107 284.110 284.111 284.114 284.115 284.118 284.120 284.122 284.125 284.126 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008