(1) This section and ORS 291.407 allow the Oregon Department of Administrative Services to assess state agencies and to provide moneys from the assessments to mass transit districts, established under ORS 267.010 to 267.390, transportation districts, established under ORS 267.510 to 267.650, and service districts, established under ORS 451.410 to 451.610 to provide public transportation services, as reimbursement for the benefit that state government receives from the districts.
(2) State agencies subject to assessment under this section include every state officer, board, commission, department, institution, branch or agency of the state whose costs are paid wholly or in part from funds held in the State Treasury, and include the Legislative Assembly, the state courts and their officers and committees.
(3) If the Oregon Department of Administrative Services elects to pay moneys to districts under this section and ORS 291.407, the department shall do the following:
(a) Determine what services performed for subject state agencies will be subject to assessment under this section;
(b) Determine which subject agencies have employees within each district who are performing the subject services;
(c) Determine the amount of wages paid to the agency employees for performing the subject services within each district; and
(d) Establish a rate of assessment of not more than six-tenths of one percent of the total amount of the wages determined under this subsection.
(4) When determining under subsection (3)(c) of this section the total amount of wages paid to agency employees for performing subject services within each district, the Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall include wages that are paid from federal funds only to the extent the assessment on those wages is authorized to be paid under federal regulations.
(5) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall not establish rates or impose assessments under this section that exceed the following:
(a) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall not assess more from an agency than the Legislative Assembly provides the agency for purposes of this section, either directly or indirectly through its approval of budgets or through the Emergency Board, if the agency budget is approved by the Legislative Assembly from General Fund moneys.
(b) If an agency is an agency other than one described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, the Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall not assess moneys from the agency at a greater rate than the rate applicable to an agency described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.
(6) At any time it determines appropriate, the Oregon Department of Administrative Services may:
(a) Redetermine any factors necessary to perform its duties under this section; or
(b) Vary the rate under this section within the limits established under this section.
(7) After making determinations and establishing a rate under this section, the Oregon Department of Administrative Services may direct the assessment against the payrolls of subject agencies at the rate established by the department. All moneys assessed under this section shall be promptly forwarded to the Oregon Department of Administrative Services. Assessments under this section are administrative expenses of an agency, as defined in ORS 291.305.
(8) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall pay any moneys it receives under this section to the State Treasurer for deposit in the account established under ORS 291.407 for use as provided in that section. [1981 c.788 §1; 1997 c.60 §1; 2003 c.51 §1]
Note: 291.405 and 291.407 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 291 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 291.375 291.376 291.378 291.380 291.385 291.402 291.404 291.405 291.406 291.407 291.408 291.410 291.432 291.434 291.436 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008