(1) The Department of Education, the Department of Human Services and the State Commission on Children and Families shall support the development and implementation of a network of community learning centers across the state.
(2) Within available funding, the state commission, in conjunction with local commissions on children and families or other organizations that provide training and technical assistance to schools or community programs, shall provide training and technical assistance to promote the development and implementation of community learning centers. To the extent possible, the state commission shall use voluntary organizations to provide the training and technical assistance.
(3) If a community learning center is created by a school district, the school district shall coordinate with the local commission on children and families to ensure that the community learning center is referenced in the local coordinated comprehensive plan, implemented pursuant to ORS 417.775.
(4) Community learning centers created pursuant to this section shall:
(a) Be located in or near a school or a cluster of schools;
(b) Involve parents in the care and education of their children;
(c) Involve the local community in developing and overseeing community learning center programs;
(d) Incorporate the principles of family support services described in ORS 329.150 and 417.342;
(e) In partnership with the local school district board, create or designate an advisory committee to offer guidance on program development and implementation, with membership that is representative of the diversity of community interests, including representatives of businesses, schools, faith-based organizations, social service and health care agencies, cultural groups, recreation groups, municipal governments, community colleges, libraries, child care providers, parents and youths;
(f) Conduct an assessment of strengths, needs and assets within the community to be served by the community learning center that identifies services being delivered in the community, defines and clarifies services that are missing or overlapping and builds on any existing community assessments; and
(g) Coordinate the community assessment with the local commission on children and families.
(5) The Department of Human Services and the Department of Education shall provide technical assistance to community learning centers to develop policies ensuring that confidential information is disclosed only in accordance with state and federal laws. [2001 c.759 §5; 2005 c.503 §16]Section: Previous 329.120 329.125 329.130 329.145 329.150 329.153 329.155 329.156 329.157 329.159 329.160 329.165 329.170 329.175 329.180 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008