(1) The Department of Education shall administer the Oregon prekindergarten program to assist eligible children with comprehensive services including educational, social, health and nutritional development to enhance their chances for success in school and life. Eligible children, upon request of parent or guardian, shall be admitted to approved Oregon prekindergartens to the extent that the Legislative Assembly provides funds.
(2) Nonsectarian organizations including school districts and Head Start grantees are eligible to compete for funds to establish an Oregon prekindergarten. Grant recipients shall serve children eligible according to federal Head Start guidelines and other children who meet criteria of eligibility adopted by rule by the State Board of Education. However, not more than 20 percent of the total enrollment shall consist of children who do not meet Head Start guidelines. School districts may contract with other governmental or nongovernmental nonsectarian organizations to conduct a portion of the program. Funds appropriated for the program shall be used to establish and maintain new or expanded Oregon prekindergartens and shall not be used to supplant federally supported Head Start programs. Oregon prekindergartens also may accept gifts, grants and other funds for the purposes of this section.
(3) Applicants shall identify how they will serve the target population and provide all components as specified in the federal Head Start performance standards and guidelines, including staff qualifications and training, facilities and equipment, transportation and fiscal management.
(4) Oregon prekindergartens shall coordinate with each other and with federal Head Start programs to ensure efficient delivery of services and prevent overlap. Oregon prekindergartens shall also work with local organizations such as local education associations serving young children and make the maximum use of local resources.
(5) Oregon prekindergartens shall:
(a) Participate in the planning process under ORS 417.777 to develop a voluntary local early childhood system plan; and
(b) Coordinate services with other services that are coordinated through the plan. The coordination of services shall be consistent with federal and state law. [Formerly 326.605; 2001 c.831 §16]Section: Previous 329.155 329.156 329.157 329.159 329.160 329.165 329.170 329.175 329.180 329.183 329.185 329.190 329.195 329.200 329.210 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008