(1) Every public school student in kindergarten through grade 8 shall participate in physical education for the entire school year. Students in kindergarten through grade 5 shall participate in physical education for at least 150 minutes during each school week. Students in grades 6 through 8 shall participate in physical education for at least 225 minutes during each school week.
(2) School districts and public charter schools shall offer instruction in physical education that meets the academic content standards for physical education adopted by the State Board of Education under ORS 329.045. The instruction shall be a sequential, developmentally appropriate curriculum that is designed, implemented and evaluated to help students develop the knowledge, motor skills, self-management skills, attitudes and confidence needed to adopt and maintain physical activity throughout their lives.
(3) School districts and public charter schools shall devote at least 50 percent of physical education class time to actual physical activity in each school week, with as much class time as possible spent in moderate physical activity.
(4)(a) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (3) of this section, a student with disabilities shall have suitably adapted physical education incorporated as part of the individualized education program developed for the student under ORS 343.151.
(b) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (3) of this section, a student who does not have an individualized education program but has chronic health problems, other disabling conditions or other special needs that preclude the student from participating in regular physical education instruction shall have suitably adapted physical education incorporated as part of an individualized health plan developed for the student by the school district or public charter school.
(5) School districts and public charter schools shall assess school curricula at regular intervals to measure the attainment of the minimum number of minutes that students are required to participate in physical education under this section.
(6) All teachers of physical education for public school students in kindergarten through grade 8 shall be adequately prepared and shall regularly participate in professional development activities to effectively deliver the physical education program. [2007 c.839 §5]
Note: 329.496 becomes operative July 1, 2017, and first applies to the 2017-2018 school year. See section 9, chapter 839, Oregon Laws 2007.Section: Previous 329.485 329.487 329.488 329.489 329.490 329.492 329.495 329.496 329.498 329.499 329.500 329.501 329.505 329.510 329.520 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008