A district school board:
(1) May furnish, equip, repair, lease, purchase and build schoolhouses, including high schools, junior high schools, professional technical schools, gymnasiums, houses for teachers and other employees, and like buildings; and locate, buy and lease lands for all school purposes. Leases authorized by this section include lease-purchase agreements whereunder the district may acquire ownership of the leased property at a nominal price. Such leases and lease-purchase agreements may be for a term of up to 30 years.
(2) May contract for the removal or containment of asbestos substances in school buildings and for repairs made necessary by such removal or containment. Contracts authorized by this section may be for a term exceeding one year.
(3) May construct or cooperate in the construction of schools for training of student teachers on state or district owned lands, for any state institution of higher education in or contiguous to the district, and to expend district funds in so doing.
(4) May acquire personal property by a lease-purchase agreement or contract of purchase for a term exceeding one year. A lease-purchase agreement is one in which the rent payable by the district is expressly agreed to have been established to reflect the savings resulting from the exemption from taxation, and the district is entitled to ownership of the property at a nominal or other price which is stated or determinable by the terms of the agreement and was not intended to reflect the true value of the property.
(5) May lease, sell and convey all property of the district as may not in the judgment of the district school board be required for school purposes.
(6) May sell property of the district in transactions whereby the district has the right to lease, occupy or reacquire the property following the sale or have facilities constructed thereon or furnished to the specifications of the district. The construction or furnishing of such facilities shall be subject to:
(a) ORS chapter 279A, except ORS 279A.125 and 279A.250 to 279A.290;
(b) ORS chapter 279B, except ORS 279B.235, 279B.240, 279B.270, 279B.275 and 279B.280; and
(c) ORS chapter 279C.005, 279C.100 to 279C.125 and 279C.300 to 279C.470.
(7) Shall furnish the schools with supplies, equipment, apparatus and services essential to meeting the requirements of a standard school and may furnish such other supplies, equipment, apparatus and services as the board considers advisable.
(8) May construct, purchase or lease in cooperation with other school districts or community college districts facilities for secondary professional technical programs for pupils of more than one district and may furnish or cooperate in furnishing supplies and equipment for such facilities, to be financed in the same manner as other school buildings and supplies are financed.
(9) May purchase real property upon a contractual basis when the period of time allowed for payment under the contract does not exceed 30 years.
(10) May purchase relocatable classrooms and other relocatable structures in installment transactions in which deferred installments of the purchase price are payable over not more than 10 years from the date such property is delivered to the district for occupancy and are secured by a security interest in such property. Such transactions may take the form of, but are not limited to, lease-purchase agreements.
(11) May enter into rental or lease-purchase agreements covering motor vehicles operated by the district. [Formerly 332.380; 1965 c.100 §143; 1969 c.311 §2; 1969 c.434 §1; 1975 c.358 §1; 1981 c.212 §1; 1983 c.740 §103; 1989 c.138 §2; 1993 c.45 §47; 2003 c.794 §255]Section: Previous 332.135 332.136 332.138 332.140 332.142 332.145 332.150 332.155 332.158 332.160 332.162 332.165 332.170 332.172 332.175 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008