(1) The common school month consists of 20 days.
(2) No pupil shall be required to attend school on any Saturday or on any legal school holiday. Except as otherwise specifically provided in this section, a legal school holiday is any holiday specified in ORS 187.010.
(3) Days on which an election is held throughout the state shall be school holidays only for such schools in which the sole schoolroom is used for election purposes.
(4) The following days are not school holidays, but a portion of the days shall be set apart and observed in the public schools by appropriate activities:
(a) Lincolnís Birthday on February 12.
(b) Admission of Oregon into the Union on February 14.
(c) Washingtonís Birthday on February 22.
(d) Columbus Day on October 12.
(5) On January 15, Martin Luther King, Jr.ís actual date of birth, a portion of the day shall be set apart and observed in the public schools by appropriate activities.
(6) Martin Luther King, Jr.ís Birthday, designated in ORS 187.010 as the third Monday in January, shall be a legal school holiday. However, notwithstanding subsection (8) of this section, whether or not there shall be compensation of school employees shall be at the discretion of the school board or covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
(7) Presidents Day, designated in ORS 187.010 as the third Monday in February, is not a legal school holiday.
(8) No teacher shall be required to teach on any Saturday, except as provided in the terms of the teacherís employment, or on any legal school holiday. When a holiday occurs on what would otherwise be a school day, teachers shall be allowed full pay for the holiday.
(9) No subject required for graduation shall be taught on Saturday only. [Amended by 1961 c.226 §1; 1965 c.100 §221; 1981 c.450 §2; 1985 c.518 §3; 1989 c.1027 §1; 1997 c.249 §96]Section: Previous 336.005 336.010 336.012 336.015 336.020 336.023 336.025 336.030 336.035 336.040 336.045 336.050 336.055 336.057 336.060 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008