(1) “School nurse” is established as a category of specialization in nursing.
(2) The Teacher Standards and Practices Commission shall issue a certificate as a school nurse to a person who complies with the rules established by the commission for the certification and practice of school nursing or who has been certified by the Oregon State Board of Nursing as a school nurse practitioner. In establishing rules for the certification and practice of any specialization of school nursing, the commission shall consider the recommendations of the Oregon State Board of Nursing.
(3) The commission may issue an emergency certificate that authorizes a person licensed as a registered nurse in this state who does not meet the requirements of subsection (2) of this section to practice as a school nurse. Such certificates shall be issued for a limited time as set by the commission.
(4) Notwithstanding subsections (1) to (3) of this section, the commission shall issue a certificate in a school nurse specialization category to a registered nurse who applies for certification and who is employed by a school, school district or education service district to conduct and coordinate a school or district health services program or who serves in such a capacity on a voluntary basis on November 1, 1981. A certificate issued under this subsection shall be issued without further proof of qualification by the applicant.
(5) A certificate issued under this section is not a teaching license. The nurse holding a certificate issued under this section is not subject to ORS 238.280 or 342.805 to 342.937. [Formerly 678.515]Section: Previous 342.447 342.449 342.450 342.455 342.460 342.465 342.470 342.475 342.480 342.485 342.495 342.505 342.508 342.510 342.513 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008