The Department of Transportation shall use an amount equal to the amount of moneys in the State Highway Fund that becomes available for its use from the increase in tax rates created by the amendments to ORS 319.020, 319.530, 825.476 and 825.480 by sections 1, 2 and 10 to 15, chapter 209, Oregon Laws 1985, and an amount equal to one-third of the amount of moneys in the State Highway Fund that becomes available for its use from any increase in tax rates created by the amendments to ORS 319.020, 319.530, 825.476 and 825.480 by sections 5, 6 and 8 to 15, chapter 899, Oregon Laws 1987, and from any increase in tax rates that results from the provisions of sections 16 and 17, chapter 899, Oregon Laws 1987, to establish and operate a state modernization program for highways. The program established under this section and the use of moneys in the program are subject to the following:
(1) The moneys may be used by the department to retire bonds that the department issues for the modernization program under bonding authority of the department.
(2) The intent of the modernization program is to increase highway safety, to accelerate improvements from the backlog of needs on the state highways and to fund modernization of highways and local roads to support economic development in Oregon. Projects both on and off the state highway system are eligible.
(3) Projects to be implemented by the modernization program shall be selected by the Oregon Transportation Commission. The criteria for selection of projects will be established after public hearings that allow citizens an opportunity to review the criteria. The commission may use up to one-half of moneys available under this section for modernization projects selected by the commission from a list of projects of statewide significance.
(4) In developing criteria for selection of projects, the commission shall consider the following:
(a) Projects must be of significance to the state highway system.
(b) Except for projects that are of statewide significance, projects must be equitably distributed throughout Oregon.
(c) Projects may be on county or city arterial roads connecting to or supporting a state highway.
(d) Priority may be given to projects that make a meaningful contribution to increased highway safety.
(e) Priority may also be given to projects that encourage economic development where:
(A) There is commitment by private industry to construct a facility.
(B) There is support from other state agencies.
(f) Priority may be given where there is local government or private sector financial participation, or both, in the improvement in addition to improvements adjacent to the project.
(g) Priority may be given where there is strong local support.
(5) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, federal moneys or moneys from the State Highway Fund other than those described in this section may be used for the modernization program as long as the total amount used is equal to the amount described in this section. Federal moneys that are appropriated by Congress for specific projects and federal moneys that are allocated by the United States Department of Transportation for specific projects may not be used for the modernization program under this section. [1985 c.209 §9; 1987 c.899 §2; 1999 c.969 §4; 2001 c.766 §§1,2; 2003 c.618 §§14,15; 2005 c.837 §13]
Note: See note under 366.739.Section: Previous 366.480 366.485 366.486 366.487 366.490 366.505 366.506 366.507 366.508 366.509 366.510 366.512 366.514 366.515 366.516 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008