(1) If the State Registrar of the Center for Health Statistics refuses to file a delayed certificate of birth under the provisions of ORS 432.140, the applicant may file a signed and sworn petition with a court of competent jurisdiction seeking an order establishing a record of the date and place of birth and the parentage of the person whose birth is to be registered.
(2) The petition shall be made on a form prescribed and furnished or approved by the state registrar and shall allege:
(a) That the person for whom a delayed certificate of birth is sought was born in this state;
(b) That no certificate of birth of the person can be found in the records of the Center for Health Statistics;
(c) That diligent efforts by the petitioner have failed to obtain the evidence required in accordance with ORS 432.140 and rules adopted pursuant thereto;
(d) That the state registrar has refused to file a delayed certificate of birth; and
(e) Such other allegations as may be required under ORS 183.480 and 183.484.
(3) The petition shall be accompanied by a statement made in accordance with ORS 432.140 and all documentary evidence which was submitted to the state registrar in support of the filing.
(4) The court shall fix a time and place for hearing the petition and shall give the state registrar notice of the hearing. The state registrar or an authorized representative may appear and testify in the proceeding.
(5) If the court finds, from the evidence presented, that the person for whom a delayed certificate of birth is sought was born in this state, it shall make findings as to the place and date of birth, parentage and such other findings as may be required and shall issue an order, on a form prescribed and furnished or approved by the state registrar, to establish a court-ordered certificate of birth. This order shall include the birth data to be registered, a description of the evidence presented and the date of the courtís action.
(6) The clerk of the court shall forward each order to the state registrar not later than the 10th day of the calendar month following the month in which it was entered. The order shall be registered by the state registrar and shall constitute the certificate of birth. [Formerly 432.135; 1997 c.783 §20]Section: Previous 432.121 432.122 432.124 432.125 432.130 432.135 432.140 432.142 432.145 432.146 432.150 432.155 432.160 432.165 432.175 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008