(1) Existing buildings or structures which are removed from their foundation and relocated to another site within this state shall be in substantial compliance as defined in subsections (2) and (3) of this section.
(2) “Substantial compliance” means compliance with local construction codes in effect as of the original permit date of the building or structure, or where there was no permitting required at the time of original construction, with basic health and safety standards, as described in the closest dated Uniform Housing Code, as published by the International Conference of Building Officials as of the date of construction. Only the insulation, overhead and underneath the structure, shall be upgraded to the current insulation requirements of the state building code, or to the maximum extent possible subject to the design of the structure. Nothing in this statute shall be construed to mean that all heating, plumbing and electrical systems shall be replaced with systems meeting current standards for new construction, except that any life-threatening deficiencies in those systems shall be repaired, notwithstanding that the cost of rehabilitation may exceed 50 percent of the value of the structure before rehabilitation.
(3) All foundation and basement construction on the structure and any remodeling at the new location shall be constructed subject to all applicable local current building and safety codes, or where none exist, with the applicable standards as described in the Uniform Housing Code described in subsection (2) of this section.
(4) All moved houses shall be provided with either battery-operated or hard-wired smoke detection devices located in accordance with the provisions of the state building code.
(5) Nothing in this section is intended to permit any person to move a structure unless the person first consults the appropriate building inspection authority and obtains all required permits. [Formerly 456.756; 1989 c.1068 §1]Section: Previous 455.345 455.350 455.355 455.380 455.390 455.395 455.400 455.410 455.412 455.415 455.420 455.422 455.425 455.430 455.440 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008