(1) For the purpose of providing public information, the Director of the Department of Environmental Quality shall develop and maintain an inventory of all facilities for which:
(a) A confirmed release is documented by the department; and
(b) The director determines that additional investigation, removal, remedial action, long-term environmental controls or institutional controls are needed to assure protection of present and future public health, safety, welfare or the environment.
(2) The determination that additional investigation, removal, remedial action, long-term environmental controls or institutional controls are needed under subsection (1) of this section shall be based upon a preliminary assessment approved or conducted by the department.
(3) Before the department conducts a preliminary assessment, the director shall notify the owner and operator, if known, that the department is proceeding with a preliminary assessment and that the owner or operator may submit information to the department that would assist the department in conducting a complete and accurate preliminary assessment.
(4) At least 60 days before the director adds a facility to the inventory, the director shall notify by certified mail or personal service the owner and operator, if known, of all or any part of the facility that is to be included in the inventory. The decision of the director to add a facility to the inventory is not appealable to the Environmental Quality Commission or subject to judicial review under ORS chapter 183.
(5) The notice provided under subsection (4) of this section shall include the preliminary assessment and shall inform the owner or operator that the owner or operator may comment on the information contained in the preliminary assessment within 45 days after receiving the notice. For good cause shown, the department may grant an extension of time to comment. The extension shall not exceed 45 additional days.
(6) The director shall consider relevant and appropriate information submitted by the owner or operator in making the final decision about whether to add a facility to the inventory.
(7) The director shall review the information submitted and add the facility to inventory if the director determines that a confirmed release has occurred and that additional investigation, removal, remedial action, long-term environmental controls or institutional controls are needed to assure protection of present and future public health, safety, welfare or the environment. [1989 c.485 §3]Section: Previous 465.170 465.180 465.200 465.205 465.210 465.215 465.220 465.225 465.230 465.235 465.240 465.245 465.250 465.255 465.257 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008