As used in ORS 469.229 to 469.261, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) “Automatic commercial ice cube machine” means a factory-made assembly, not necessarily shipped in one package, consisting of a condensing unit and ice-making section operating as an integrated unit with means for making and harvesting ice cubes, and any integrated components for storing or dispensing ice.
(2) “Ballast” means a device used with an electric discharge lamp to obtain necessary circuit conditions for starting and operating the lamp.
(3) “Bottle-type water dispenser” means a water dispenser that uses a bottle or reservoir as the source of potable water.
(4) “Commercial clothes washer” means a soft mount horizontal-axis or vertical-axis clothes washer that:
(a) Has a clothes compartment no greater than 3.5 cubic feet in the case of a horizontal-axis product or no greater than 4 cubic feet in the case of a vertical-axis product; and
(b) Is designed for use by more than one household.
(5)(a) “Commercial hot food holding cabinet” means an appliance that is a heated, fully-enclosed compartment with one or more solid doors and is designed to maintain the temperature of hot food that has been cooked in a separate appliance.
(b) “Commercial hot food holding cabinet” does not include heated glass merchandising cabinets, drawer warmers or cook-and-hold appliances.
(6) “Commercial prerinse spray valve” means a handheld device designed and marketed for use with commercial dishwashing equipment and that sprays water on dishes, flatware and other food service items for the purpose of removing food residue prior to their cleaning.
(7) “Commercial refrigerators or freezers” means refrigerators, freezers or refrigerator-freezers, smaller than 85 cubic feet of internal volume and designed for use by commercial or institutional facilities for the purpose of storing or merchandising food products, beverages or ice at specified temperatures, other than products without doors, walk-in refrigerators or freezers, consumer products that are federally regulated pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 6291 et seq. or freezers specifically designed for ice cream. “Commercial refrigerators or freezers”:
(a) Must incorporate most components involved in the vapor-compression cycle and the refrigerated compartment in a single cabinet; and
(b) May be configured with either solid or transparent doors as a reach-in cabinet, pass-through cabinet, roll-in cabinet or roll-through cabinet.
(8)(a) “Compact audio product,” also known as a mini, mid, micro or shelf audio system, means an integrated audio system encased in a single housing that includes an amplifier and radio tuner and attached or separable speakers that can reproduce audio from one or more of the following media:
(A) Magnetic tape;
(B) Compact disc;
(C) DVD; or
(D) Flash memory.
(b) “Compact audio product” does not include products that can be independently powered by internal batteries, have a powered external satellite antenna or can provide a video output signal.
(9) “Compensation” means money or any other valuable thing, regardless of form, received or to be received by a person for services rendered.
(10) “Digital versatile disc” or “DVD” means a laser-encoded plastic medium capable of storing a large amount of digital audio, video and computer data.
(11)(a) “Digital versatile disc player” or “digital versatile disc recorder” means a commercially available electronic product encased in a single housing that includes an integral power supply and for which the sole purpose is, respectively, the decoding and the production or recording of digitized video signal on a DVD.
(b) “Digital versatile disc recorder” does not include models that have an electronic programming guide function that provides an interactive, on-screen menu of television listings and downloads program information from the vertical blanking interval of a regular television signal.
(12) “High-intensity discharge lamp” means a lamp in which light is produced by the passage of an electric current through a vapor or gas, and in which the light-producing arc is stabilized by bulb wall temperature and the arc tube has a bulb wall loading in excess of three watts per square centimeter.
(13) “Illuminated exit sign” means an internally illuminated sign that is designed to be permanently fixed in place to identify a building exit, that consists of an electrically powered integral light source that illuminates the legend “EXIT” and any directional indicators and that provides contrast between the legend, any directional indicators and the background.
(14) “Metal halide lamp” means a high-intensity discharge lamp in which the major portion of the light is produced by radiation of metal halides and their products of dissociation, possibly in combination with metallic vapors.
(15) “Metal halide lamp fixture” means a light fixture designed to be operated with a metal halide lamp and a ballast for a metal halide lamp.
(16) “Pass-through cabinet” means a commercial refrigerator or freezer with hinged or sliding doors on both the front and rear of the unit.
(17) “Portable electric spa” means a factory-built electric spa or hot tub supplied with equipment for heating and circulating water.
(18) “Probe-start metal halide lamp ballast” means a ballast used to operate metal halide lamps that does not contain an igniter and that instead starts metal halide lamps by using a third starting electrode probe in the arc tube.
(19) “Reach-in cabinet” means a commercial refrigerator or freezer with hinged or sliding doors or lids, other than roll-in or roll-through cabinets or pass-through cabinets.
(20) “Roll-in cabinet” means a commercial refrigerator or freezer with hinged or sliding doors that allow wheeled racks to be rolled into the unit.
(21) “Roll-through cabinet” means a commercial refrigerator or freezer with hinged or sliding doors on two sides of the cabinet that allow wheeled racks to be rolled through the unit.
(22)(a) “Single-voltage external AC to DC power supply” means a device, other than a product with batteries or battery packs that physically attach directly to the power supply unit, a product with a battery chemistry or type selector switch and indicator light or a product with a battery chemistry or type selector switch and a state of charge meter, that:
(A) Is designed to convert line voltage alternating current input into lower voltage direct current output;
(B) Is able to convert to only one direct current output voltage at a time;
(C) Is sold with, or intended to be used with, a separate end-use product that constitutes the primary power load;
(D) Is contained within a separate physical enclosure from the end-use product;
(E) Is connected to the end-use product via a removable or hard-wired male or female electrical connection, cable, cord or other wiring; and
(F) Has a nameplate output power less than or equal to 250 watts.
(b) “Single-voltage external AC to DC power supply” does not include power supplies that are classified as devices for human use under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, 21 U.S.C. 360c.
(23) “State-regulated incandescent reflector lamp” means a lamp that is not colored or designed for rough or vibrating service applications, that has an inner reflective coating on the outer bulb to direct the light, that has an E26 medium screw base, that has a rated voltage or voltage range that lies at least partially within 115 to 130 volts and that falls into one of the following categories:
(a) A bulged reflector or elliptical reflector bulb shape that has a diameter that equals or exceeds 2.25 inches; or
(b) A reflector, parabolic aluminized reflector or similar bulb shape that has a diameter of 2.25 to 2.75 inches.
(24) “Torchiere” means a portable electric lighting fixture with a reflective bowl that directs light upward so as to produce indirect illumination.
(25) “Traffic signal module” means a standard traffic signal indicator, consisting of a light source, a lens and all other parts necessary for operation, that is:
(a) Eight inches, or approximately 200 millimeters, in diameter; or
(b) Twelve inches, or approximately 300 millimeters, in diameter.
(26) “Unit heater” means a self-contained, vented fan-type commercial space heater, other than a consumer product covered by federal standards established pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 6291 et seq. or that is a direct vent, forced flue heater with a sealed combustion burner, that uses natural gas or propane and that is designed to be installed without ducts within a heated space.
(27) “Walk-in refrigerator” and “walk-in freezer” mean a space refrigerated to temperatures, respectively, at or above and below 32° F that can be walked into.
(28) “Water dispenser” means a factory-made assembly that mechanically cools and heats potable water and dispenses the cooled or heated water by integral or remote means. [2005 c.437 §1; 2007 c.375 §1; 2007 c.649 §1]
Note: 469.229 to 469.261 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 469 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 469.208 469.210 469.215 469.217 469.220 469.225 469.228 469.229 469.230 469.232 469.233 469.234 469.235 469.236 469.238 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008