(1) There is established a State Fish and Wildlife Commission that shall consist of seven members appointed by the Governor.
(2) The term of office of each member is four years, but a member serves at the pleasure of the Governor. Before the expiration of the term of a member, the Governor shall appoint a successor. A member is eligible for reappointment. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the Governor shall make an appointment to become immediately effective for the unexpired term.
(3) All appointments of members of the commission by the Governor are subject to confirmation by the Senate pursuant to section 4, Article III, Oregon Constitution.
(4) One member of the commission shall be appointed from each of the congressional districts referred to in ORS 188.135, one member from that portion of the state lying west of the Cascade Mountains and one member from that portion of the state lying east of the Cascade Mountains.
(5) Members appointed to the commission shall be residents of this state, as defined in ORS 497.002.
(6) All members of the commission shall represent the public interest of the state and make decisions affecting the wildlife resources of the state for the benefit of those resources. Consistent with the requirements of this subsection, the commission shall provide for the productive and sustainable utilization of wildlife resources for all groups of users.
(7) All members of the commission shall have a general knowledge of fish and wildlife issues and an understanding of the operation and functions of public policy boards and commissions. In making appointments to the commission, the Governor shall consider appointing members who possess natural resource backgrounds such as backgrounds in commercial fishing, recreational fishing, hunting, agriculture, forestry and conservation.
(8) Failure of a member to maintain compliance with the eligibility requirements of subsections (4) and (5) of this section shall vacate membership. Members of the commission may otherwise be removed only by the Governor.
(9) A member of the commission is entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495. [1975 c.253 §8; 1981 c.545 §11; 1997 c.249 §177; 1999 c.697 §1; 2001 c.762 §1]Section: Previous 496.030 496.032 496.035 496.040 496.045 496.080 496.085 496.090 496.100 496.105 496.108 496.110 496.112 496.115 496.116 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008