(1) Upon the filing of a claim, the court shall issue a notice in the form prescribed by the court.
(2) The notice shall be directed to the defendant, naming the defendant, and shall contain a copy of the claim.
(3) If the amount or value claimed is $50 or more, the notice and claim shall be served upon the defendant in the manner provided for the service of summons and complaint in proceedings in the circuit courts.
(4) If the amount or value claimed is less than $50, the notice and claim shall be served upon the defendant either in the manner provided for the service of summons and complaint in proceedings in the circuit courts or by certified mail, at the option of the plaintiff. If service by certified mail is attempted, the court shall mail the notice and claim by certified mail addressed to the defendant at the last-known mailing address of the defendant within the territorial jurisdiction of the court. The envelope shall be marked with the words “Deliver to Addressee Only” and “Return Receipt Requested.” The date of delivery appearing on the return receipt shall be prima facie evidence of the date on which the notice and claim was served upon the defendant. If service by certified mail is not successfully accomplished, the notice and claim shall be served in the manner provided for the service of summons and complaint in proceedings in the circuit courts.
(5) The notice shall include a statement in substantially the following form:
NOTICE TO DEFENDANT:
READ THESE PAPERS CAREFULLY!
Within 14 DAYS after receiving this notice you MUST do ONE of the following things:
Pay the claim plus fees and service expenses paid by plaintiff OR
Demand a hearing OR
Demand a jury trial
If you fail to do one of the above things within 14 DAYS after receiving this notice, then upon written request from the plaintiff, the court will enter a judgment against you for the amount claimed plus fees and service expenses paid by the plaintiff.
If you have questions about this notice, you should contact the court immediately.
[1989 c.583 §5]Section: Previous 55.010 55.011 55.020 55.030 55.040 55.045 55.050 55.055 55.060 55.065 55.070 55.075 55.077 55.080 55.090 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008