(1) Any district organized or operating under ORS chapter 545, 547 or 553 may dissolve and transfer its property and other assets and liabilities to a water improvement district which will undertake to furnish service to the inhabitants of the dissolving district.
(2) Except as provided by this section, dissolution, liquidation and transfer proceedings shall be conducted as provided by ORS 198.920 to 198.955.
(3) When a petition is filed or a resolution is adopted initiating dissolution proceedings, the governing board of the dissolving district and the district board of the water improvement district shall meet with each other to agree on a debt distribution plan to be voted upon as a part of the proposal. The debt distribution plan may provide for any distribution of indebtedness between the water improvement district and the dissolving district. If the boards do not agree on a debt distribution plan or if the area within the dissolving district remains liable under the plan for any portion of the indebtedness outstanding at the time of the dissolution and transfer, the district board of the water improvement district shall be ex officio board of the dissolved district for the purpose of levying taxes or collecting charges in such area until the bonded and other indebtedness of the dissolved district is paid.
(4) The consent of all the known holders of valid indebtedness against the dissolving district shall be obtained or provision made in the debt distribution plan for the payment of the nonassenting holders. The area within the boundaries of the dissolving district shall not by reason of the dissolution and transfer be relieved from liabilities and indebtedness previously contracted by the dissolving district.
(5) If the dissolution is approved at an election in accordance with the law applicable to the dissolving district, the governing body of the dissolving district shall convey to the water improvement district all assets of the dissolving district after paying and discharging the debts and obligations to, or procuring releases from the nonassenting holders, in accordance with the debt distribution plan. [1969 c.606 §13; 1971 c.727 §167; 1991 c.459 §430b]Section: Previous 552.630 552.635 552.645 552.655 552.660 552.670 552.710 552.720 552.730 552.740 552.750 552.810 552.820 552.825 552.830 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008