A soil and water conservation district may be formed in the following manner:
(1) The three candidates referred to in ORS 568.540 shall present to the Secretary of State an application signed and sworn to by them, which shall set forth the procedure followed in the formation of the district.
(2) The application shall be accompanied by a map of uniform scale showing the location and boundaries of the district and by a statement by the State Department of Agriculture. The statement shall certify that a petition was filed, notice issued and hearing held as provided by ORS 568.300 to 568.320; that the department did determine that there is need, in the interest of the general welfare, for a soil and water conservation district to function in the proposed territory and did define the boundaries thereof; that notice was given and a referendum held on the question of the creation of the district, and that the result of the referendum showed the required majority of the electors residing in the district to favor creation of the district.
(3) The Secretary of State shall examine the application and statement. If the Secretary of State finds that the name proposed for the district is not identical with that of any other district of this state or so nearly similar as to lead to confusion or uncertainty, the Secretary of State shall receive and file them and shall record them in an appropriate book of record in the office of the secretary.
(4) If the Secretary of State finds that the name proposed for the district is identical with that of any other soil and water conservation district of this state or so nearly similar as to lead to confusion and uncertainty, the Secretary of State shall certify such fact to the department, which shall thereupon submit to the Secretary of State a name for the district which is not subject to such defects.
(5) Upon receipt of the new name free of such defects, the Secretary of State shall record the application and statement, with the name so modified.
(6) The formation of the district is final when the application and statement have been made, filed and recorded as provided in this section. [Amended by 1955 c.142 §11; 1973 c.656 §4; 1981 c.92 §17; 1983 c.83 §106a; 2003 c.802 §146]Section: Previous 568.340 568.350 568.360 568.370 568.380 568.390 568.400 568.410 568.420 568.430 568.435 568.440 568.445 568.450 568.460 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008