(1) Brand inspection and the issuance of a brand inspection certificate is required in this state for:
(a) Cattle to be transported from any place in this state to or through any place outside of this state;
(b) Cattle to be transported from any place in this state to a range or pastureland outside of this state and destined to be ultimately returned to this state;
(c) Except as provided in subsection (5)(b) of this section, cattle destined for sale or slaughter at any livestock auction market or other sales facility or slaughterhouse in this state, and prior to such sale or slaughter; and
(d) Except as provided in subsection (5)(a) of this section, cattle transported from any place outside of this state to any livestock auction market or other sales facility or slaughterhouse in this state for sale within this state.
(2) Brand inspection may be performed, upon request of the owner or person in possession of livestock, at either a regular brand inspection location or a place designated by the person requesting the brand inspection. The State Department of Agriculture may require payment of its time and travel costs as a condition to performing the brand inspection. The department may also assess and collect a service fee, not to exceed $25.
(3) In addition to brand inspections under subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the department may establish and carry out a system of brand inspection at the times and places as an intrastate, regional movement of cattle takes place, or as a change of ownership takes place. In establishing any system authorized by this subsection, the department shall consider the customs, practices and theft or ownership problems of the cattle industry, the economic feasibility of carrying out a system, the volume of cattle movement within the state or within specific areas of the state, the laws and regulations of the United States and the desirability for a system as evidenced by a majority of persons who would be affected by the system. Such a system, established in accordance with the provisions of ORS chapter 183, may include:
(a) That the brand inspection may be in addition to or in lieu of other brand inspections required or allowed by this chapter and the circumstances or conditions under which the alternatives shall be allowed;
(b) The times and places the brand inspection shall take place in relation to the time of movement or location change, or the change of ownership;
(c) The establishment of a brand inspection fee and the person responsible for payment thereof;
(d) The establishment of geographic, regional or political areas within the state in which brand inspection is required; and
(e) The circumstances or conditions under which an exemption from or modification of the systemís requirements may be allowed, considering their feasibility in relation to movement or sale of minimum numbers of cattle.
(4) In addition to brand inspections under subsections (1) to (3) of this section, the department may inspect any hides or livestock at any time, and at any public or private place, building or livestock carrier, if there is a need to identify diseased or suspected diseased livestock, or if the department reasonably suspects that any provisions of this chapter, the administrative rules adopted under this chapter or any criminal laws relating to the possession of livestock, are being violated. This authority is in addition to any authority granted police officers, the departmentís brand inspectors, livestock police officers and investigative officers under ORS 133.525 to 133.703 relating to search and seizures. The department may undertake any of the actions described in ORS 604.056 (1) if:
(a) An inspection results in a finding that a brand inspection certificate accompanying the hides or livestock is false, erroneous or incomplete in any material respect;
(b) There is a question whether the person in possession of the hides or livestock is the owner or a lawful possessor; or
(c) The person in possession of the livestock fails to submit evidence requested under ORS 604.051 (1).
(5) In lieu of the brand inspection and the issuance of a brand inspection certificate required by subsection (1) of this section:
(a) Cattle that are transported to any slaughterhouse in this state from any place outside this state, if entering this state may be accompanied by a brand inspection certificate or similar document issued by the other state, provided that such other state has brand inspection comparable to the inspection of this state; or
(b) Cattle, in lots not to exceed 15 head, presented by one person for slaughter at a slaughterhouse may be accompanied by a special slaughterhouse certificate issued by the department for which a fee, equal to the brand inspection fee established by the department under ORS 604.066 (2), has been paid.
(6) Brand inspection at slaughtering establishments or other facilities where cattle are slaughtered or cattle hides are received, may be required of cattle hides under a system established by the department in accordance with the provisions of ORS chapter 183. In establishing any system authorized by this subsection, the department shall consider theft or ownership problems associated with slaughtered cattle, the economic feasibility of carrying out the system, the attitudes of the affected members of the cattle industry of this state, the volume of slaughtered cattle within the state or within specific areas of the state, and the laws and regulations of the United States. Any system established under this subsection may include:
(a) The designation of geographic, regional or political areas within the state in which cattle hide inspection is required;
(b) The use of tags, stamps or other devices evidencing ownership of the cattle slaughtered; and
(c) The methods, locations and times for cattle hide inspection.
(7) By written agreement with the appropriate agencies in the States of California, Nevada, Idaho or Washington, the department may recognize brand inspections performed in any of such other states in lieu of the brand inspections required by this chapter. Any such agreement shall provide that recognition of brand inspections of any such other state shall be effective only while brand inspections performed pursuant to this chapter are recognized in such other state. [1981 c.248 §9; 1983 c.102 §1; 1985 c.262 §2; 1987 c.348 §1; 1991 c.660 §3; 2007 c.229 §2]Section: Previous 604.027 604.030 604.032 604.035 604.036 604.040 604.041 604.046 604.050 604.051 604.056 604.060 604.061 604.066 604.070 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008