As used in ORS 609.035 to 609.110 and 609.990:
(1) “Dog control board” means a group of persons whose duties include, but need not be limited to, fulfilling the duties of a dog control district board of supervisors as described in ORS 609.030.
(2) “Dog control officer” means a person whose duties include, but need not be limited to, enforcing the dog control laws for a dog control district.
(3) “Keeper” means a person who owns, possesses, controls or otherwise has charge of a dog, other than:
(a) A licensed business primarily intended to obtain a profit from the kenneling of dogs;
(b) A humane society or other nonprofit animal shelter;
(c) A facility impounding dogs on behalf of a city or county; or
(d) A veterinary facility.
(4) “Menaces” means lunging, growling, snarling or other behavior by a dog that would cause a reasonable person to fear for the person’s safety.
(5) “Potentially dangerous dog” means a dog that:
(a) Without provocation and while not on premises from which the keeper may lawfully exclude others, menaces a person;
(b) Without provocation, inflicts physical injury on a person that is less severe than a serious physical injury; or
(c) Without provocation and while not on premises from which the keeper may lawfully exclude others, inflicts physical injury on or kills a domestic animal as defined in ORS 167.310.
(6) “Running at large” means that a dog is off or outside of the premises from which the keeper of the dog may lawfully exclude others, or is not in the company of and under the control of its keeper, except if the dog is:
(a) Being used to legally hunt, chase or tree wildlife while under the supervision of the keeper;
(b) Being used to control or protect livestock or for other activities related to agriculture; or
(c) Within any part of a vehicle.
(7) “Serious physical injury” has the meaning given that term in ORS 161.015. [2005 c.840 §4]Section: Previous 609.010 609.015 609.020 609.030 609.035 609.040 609.050 609.060 609.070 609.080 609.090 609.092 609.093 609.095 609.097 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008