(1)(a) Except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, any person involved in the preparation or service of food in a restaurant or food service facility licensed under ORS 624.020 or 624.320 must successfully complete a food handler training program and earn a certificate of program completion within 30 days after the date of hire. The person shall thereafter maintain a valid completion certificate at all times during the employment.
(b) A food handler training program offered by the Department of Human Services or the designated agent of the department, or offered by a local public health authority or designated agent of the local authority and approved by the department, is valid in any jurisdiction in the state for the purpose of obtaining the certificate of completion under subsection (2) of this section.
(2) If a person successfully completes the food handler training program required in subsection (1) of this section and pays the appropriate fee, the department, a local public health authority or a designated agent shall issue a certificate of completion. A food handler certificate of completion expires three years after the date of issuance.
(3) All local public health authorities exercising powers, duties and functions pursuant to ORS 624.510, shall ensure the provision of food handler training programs within the jurisdiction of the local public health authority. The department shall establish and maintain food handler training programs in counties without authority delegated under ORS 624.510.
(4) The department shall establish by rule all provisions necessary to administer and enforce the provisions of this section, including but not limited to:
(a) Minimum standards for program content and delivery; and
(b) The establishment of minimum requirements for successful completion of the training.
(5) The department, a local public health authority or a designated agent shall charge a program fee to program participants. The program fee may not exceed $10. A program provider may assess a new program fee each time a participant takes or retakes all or part of a program or certification exam. A fee not exceeding $5 may be charged for duplicate certificates of completion.
(6) Persons involved in the preparation or service of food in a temporary restaurant are not required to complete a food handler training program, but the temporary restaurant shall have at least one person who has completed the food handler training program on the premises at all times. [1995 c.578 §13; 2001 c.975 §8a; 2003 c.309 §18]Section: Previous 624.430 624.440 624.490 624.495 624.500 624.510 624.530 624.550 624.570 624.610 624.630 624.650 624.670 624.990 624.992 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008