As used in ORS 708A.455 to 708A.515, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Account” means a contract of deposit of funds between a depositor and a financial institution, and includes a checking account, savings account, certificate of deposit and share account.
(2) “Beneficiary” means a person named in a trust account as one for whom a party to the account is named as trustee.
(3) “Joint account” means an account payable on request to one or more of two or more parties whether or not mention is made of any right of survivorship.
(4) “Multiple-party account” means a joint account, a P.O.D. account or a trust account. “Multiple-party account” does not include accounts established for deposit of funds of a partnership, joint venture or other association for business purposes, or accounts controlled by one or more persons as the duly authorized agent or trustee for a corporation, unincorporated association, charitable or civic organization or a regular fiduciary or trust account where the relationship is established other than by deposit agreement.
(5) “Net contribution” of a party to a joint account as of any given time means the sum of all deposits thereto made by or for the party, less all withdrawals made by or for the party that have not been paid to or applied to the use of any other party, plus a pro rata share of any interest or dividends included in the current balance. The term includes, in addition, any proceeds of deposit life insurance added to the account by reason of the death of the party whose net contribution is in question.
(6) “Party” means a person who, by the terms of the account, has a present right, subject to request, to payment from a multiple-party account. A P.O.D. payee or beneficiary of a trust account is a party only after the account becomes payable to the payee or beneficiary by reason of the payee’s or beneficiary’s surviving the original party or trustee. Unless the context requires otherwise, “party” includes a guardian, conservator, personal representative or assignee, including an attaching creditor, of a party. “Party” also includes a person identified as a trustee of an account for another whether or not a beneficiary is named, but it does not include any named beneficiary unless the named beneficiary has a present right of withdrawal.
(7) “Payment” of sums on deposit includes withdrawal, payment on check or other directive of a party, and any pledge of sums on deposit by a party and any setoff, reduction or other disposition of all or part of an account pursuant to a pledge.
(8) “P.O.D. account” means an account payable on request to one person during the lifetime of the person and on the death of the person to one or more P.O.D. payees, or to one or more persons during their lifetimes and on the death of all of them to one or more P.O.D. payees.
(9) “P.O.D. payee” means a person designated on a P.O.D. account as one to whom the account is payable on request after the death of one or more persons.
(10) “Request” means a proper request for withdrawal, or a check or order for payment, that complies with all conditions of the account, including special requirements concerning necessary signatures and regulations of the financial institution. If the financial institution conditions withdrawal or payment on advance notice, for purposes of ORS 708A.455 to 708A.515, the request for withdrawal or payment is treated as immediately effective and a notice of intent to withdraw is treated as a request for withdrawal.
(11) “Sums on deposit” means the balance payable on a multiple-party account including interest, dividends and, in addition, any deposit life insurance proceeds added to the account by reason of the death of a party.
(12) “Trust account” means an account in the name of one or more parties as trustee for one or more beneficiaries where the relationship is established by the form of the account and the deposit agreement with the financial institution, and there is no subject of the trust other than the sums on deposit in the account. It is not essential that payment to the beneficiary be mentioned in the deposit agreement. A trust account does not include a regular trust account under a testamentary trust or a trust agreement that has significance apart from the account, or a fiduciary account arising from a fiduciary relationship such as attorney-client.
(13) “Withdrawal” includes payment to a third person pursuant to check or other directive of a party. [1997 c.631 §172]Section: Previous 708A.420 708A.425 708A.430 708A.435 708A.440 708A.445 708A.450 708A.455 708A.460 708A.465 708A.470 708A.475 708A.480 708A.485 708A.490 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008