An individual health insurance policy must meet the following requirements:
(1) The entire money and other considerations therefor shall be expressed therein.
(2) The time at which the insurance takes effect and terminates shall be expressed therein.
(3) It shall purport to insure only one person, except that a policy may insure, originally or by subsequent amendment, upon the application of an adult member of a family who shall be deemed the policyholder, any two or more eligible members of that family, including husband, wife, dependent children or any children under a specified age which shall not exceed 19 years and any other person dependent upon the policyholder.
(4) The policy may not be issued individually to an individual in a group of persons as described in ORS 743.522 for the purpose of separating the individual from health insurance benefits offered or provided in connection with a group health benefit plan.
(5) Except as provided in ORS 743.498, the style, arrangement and overall appearance of the policy may not give undue prominence to any portion of the text, and every printed portion of the text of the policy and of any indorsements or attached papers shall be plainly printed in lightfaced type of a style in general use, the size of which shall be uniform and not less than 10 point with a lower case unspaced alphabet length not less than 120 point. Captions shall be printed in not less than 12-point type. As used in this subsection, “text” includes all printed matter except the name and address of the insurer, name or title of the policy, the brief description if any, and captions and subcaptions.
(6) The exceptions and reductions of indemnity must be set forth in the policy. Except those required by ORS 743.411 to 743.477, 743A.160 and 743A.164, exceptions and reductions shall be printed at the insurer’s option either included with the applicable benefit provision or under an appropriate caption such as EXCEPTIONS, or EXCEPTIONS AND REDUCTIONS. However, if an exception or reduction specifically applies only to a particular benefit of the policy, a statement of the exception or reduction must be included with the applicable benefit provision.
(7) Each form constituting the policy, including riders and indorsements, must be identified by a form number in the lower left-hand corner of the first page of the policy.
(8) The policy may not contain provisions purporting to make any portion of the charter, rules, constitution or bylaws of the insurer a part of the policy unless such portion is set forth in full in the policy, except in the case of the incorporation of or reference to a statement of rates or classification of risks, or short rate table filed with the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services. [Formerly 741.120; 1999 c.987 §5]Section: Previous 743.375 743.376 743.377 743.378 743.379 743.380 743.402 743.405 743.408 743.411 743.412 743.414 743.417 743.420 743.423 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008