This section establishes the uses allowed for vehicles registered under ORS 805.300, and for vehicles authorized by ORS 805.400 to be registered under ORS 826.009 or 826.011. Vehicles with farm vehicle registration or farm vehicle proportional registration may only be used for purposes described in this section. Uses permitted on a farm under this section are also permitted on one or more farms, orchards or ranches of the qualifying farmer. Violation of the limits established under this section is subject to penalty under ORS 805.350. The following describes the uses permitted vehicles registered under ORS 805.300 and for vehicles authorized by ORS 805.400 to be registered under ORS 826.009 or 826.011:
(1) The vehicles may be used in transporting the farmerís own agricultural commodities, agricultural products or livestock that were originally grown or raised by the farmer on the farmerís own farm. This subsection includes products and by-products of commodities or livestock that were packed, processed or manufactured by or for the farm operation so long as the farmer retains ownership of the products but does not include products that have been transformed into a finished state. For purposes of this subsection, products have not been transformed into a finished state if the products:
(a) Will be used in agricultural production;
(b) Will be used in the production of another product;
(c) Are not changed in visible character; or
(d) Are of a type or kind ordinarily requiring further processing prior to sale to the ultimate consumer.
(2) The vehicles may be used in any transportation that is incidental to the regular operation of the farmerís farm.
(3) The vehicles may be used to transport supplies, equipment or materials to the farmerís farm that are consumed or used on the farm.
(4) The vehicles may be used in transporting forest products to the farmerís own farm or transporting for any purpose forest products originating on the farmerís farm. The only forest products included under this subsection are forest materials originating on a farm or as an incident to the regular operation of a farm.
(5) The vehicles may be used in the transportation of products, supplies, equipment or materials for another farmer who qualifies under ORS 805.310 on an exchange of labor basis if such products, supplies, equipment or materials are to be used or consumed on such farm or are directly related to the operation of the farm.
(6) The vehicles may be operated for the personal use of the farmer, any member of the farmerís immediate family or any person in the farmerís employ.
(7) The vehicles shall not be used to transport any of the following:
(b) Poles over 30 inches in circumference at the large end.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, logs over eight feet six inches in length. A vehicle may be used to transport logs over eight feet six inches but not over 16 feet 6 inches in length if the vehicle has a loaded weight of 16,000 pounds or less.
(8) The vehicles may be partially operated under a permit issued by the Department of Transportation under ORS 825.102, as described in ORS 825.024. When operated under a permit issued under ORS 825.102, the vehicles are subject to ORS chapter 825.
(9) The vehicles may be partially operated for hire as permitted in ORS 825.024 (1)(c) and (d).
(10) The vehicles may be rented or borrowed by a farmer to haul the farmerís own products if the farmer would qualify for farm vehicle registration for vehicles of the type and size rented or borrowed.
(11) The vehicles may be used in transporting straw, whether or not the straw was grown on the farmerís own farm, if the transporting farmer is the one who bales the straw. [1983 c.338 §767; 1985 c.16 §367; 1985 c.668 §20; 1989 c.43 §33; 1993 c.368 §5; 1995 c.248 §1; 1995 c.522 §5; 1999 c.59 §237]Section: Previous 805.263 805.264 805.300 805.310 805.320 805.322 805.330 805.340 805.350 805.360 805.370 805.380 805.390 805.400 805.410 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008